Monday, May 14, 2018

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll


The Porkchop is cruising right along in his training. He seems to be feeling great thanks to a round of Polyglycan, and we are both starting to feel much more confirmed in the PSG. Instead of pulling a Hail Mary at our first show in a couple of weeks, I feel like I can actually ride the test and have a handle on things. It's a great feeling - to feel ready. But I know I can't get complacent. I have felt ready before and then totally blew it. lol.


I thought I'd share a handful of my favorite exercises at the moment. We are focused on straightness, suppleness and helping him bring his chest up so his front legs can get out of the way when his back end starts to motor. 

These can all be changed up to suit the level of  you and your horse, too! Some can be made easier, and also more challenging.

** Note: I did not come up with these. These are just tools I have gathered from various lessons, clinics, etc. that I have found useful for my particular horse.
___

Haunches in
Tons of transitions while staying in HI. I like to do a lot of collected canter, then working canter, then big canter all within the HI. Then back down. Then change to SI for a few strides.

Half pass to leg yield
Start in half pass (any gait), change to leg yield and really bring the haunches over. Then back to half pass. This is great to helping his back supple. Really get the positioning accurate.



Counter bend in counter canter
For example, if you are on the left lead going on the right rein - so in counter canter - flex your horse to the right so he is counter bent. This is a great connecting exercise as it brings the hind legs more underneath the horse. Also, good for horses who might anticipate changes when you try and straighten them.

SI-leg yield
Shoulder-in while cantering, turn down quarter line and leg yield to the rail while keeping SI positioning.

Extended trot - leg yield
Extend across the short diagonal, when you hit the rail, immediately do a head-to-wall leg yield. Change it up next time and do shoulder-in at the rail.



Canter leg yields
Long, forward sweeping leg yields across the ring.

Extended canter "just kidding" exercise
Extend across the ring, or down the long side. Halt when you hit the corner, turn around (head to the rail) and trot away. Helps with horses who like to barge around the corners after an extension.

Hope these are useful! I have a billion of these if you all would like me to do a series or whatnot.

ALSO:
My freestyle series will pick back up because I FINALLY FINISHED MINE.






4 comments:

  1. lol my horse is barely schooled enough on the flat for like, uh, *any* of these.... except those last three. which look reeeeeally really interesting. ooh and possibly the counter bend in counter canter, since he's shockingly balanced in counter canter but can always use more help in getting his hind end underneath himself.... good food for thought, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo THESE ARE GOLD. Thanks! (also Taran hates you now)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I spy a few of my favorites in there! Half pass to leg yield and counter bend in counter canter always and forever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!