Monday, August 7, 2017

Bridle follow-up

Guess whose two nerds got featured on Horse Nation IG?
This is the second time Hamps has made Horse Nation Gram of the day. lol. I mean how lucky did I get with this photo? Derp level achievement unlocked! 

Anyhoo ... onto more serious bizz-nass!



Snaffle Heritage bridle. Still kickin!
Check out this bridle post from Aimee first.

Earlier in the year I did buy Hampton a Premiera bridle from Hypostore. I really loved the white padded, patent leather noseband and the sparkly browband. Plus, I thought Hampton deserved a bridle upgrade.

You know, at first I was not disappointed. The leather needed oiled, and broken in, but seemed acceptable.

But from the moment I put it on Hampton, something just wasn't right. I was using his same bits, and even had my coach look at the bridle thinking maybe I didn't have it fitting quite right.

Heritage double bridle. Also, still kickin!


Then, against my better judgement, I took him to that April show and showed him in it.

And we all know how that went.

He was awful. AWFUL. Gaping mouth, against the bridle, not even on the bit for most of the test (that's not ok in 4th level). Really irritated and not wanting to play.

Now, of course that could have been his back or hocks bothering him. Or ulcers. Or my terrible riding. Or any other number of things that just made him not want to play that weekend.

The Hypostore bridle


I put his original bridle back on when we got home. And he was much improved.

So whatever the reason, the Hypostore bridle just had bad mojo for me now.

So I took the browband and put it on my old bridle. There, much better. Maybe it was just the noseband that would not sit right? Or was pinching? Who knows.

And then the browband crystals started to fall off.

This is some bullshit right here.


Like several of them.

I'm not abusive to browbands, people. So I can't give this bridle a good review now. I give it a C.

BUT!

In adding to Aimee's list, if you are looking for a nice bridle in the $100 range, both of Hampton's bridles (his double and his snaffle) are Heritage bridles. You can find them on eBay for about $100 for the double. The snaffle I got when Hamp was young for about $60. The leather is supple, breaks in wonderfully, and both have held up to several years of use. And admittedly I am not a tack cleaning nazi so ... sometimes they go awhile between good cleanings.

Hamp modeling Aimee's Eponia bridle. Looking into one of these possibly?


I was going to update Hampton's double just because I think he has earned it, but perhaps it's best not to go fix something when it's not broken. But ... but ... Eponia is so pretty ....

5 comments:

  1. That browband collapse is inexcusable. I never used the browband that came with mine because it just sat wrong. Yikes.

    And yes to Eponia. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some fucking bullshit right there, with that browband. Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamps definitely deserves a new Eponia. He told me so. Also, super disappointing about that Hypostore one, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bling shall not sling in such way. For shame.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!