Thursday, September 1, 2016

Clinic Day 2

And I have even less photographic evidence from this day! Sorry about that!

The good news is that we did not get stormed on Sunday morning, however in true Kentucky fashion this year it was 93 degrees and 80,00000000 humidity. I chose to ride in the indoor again. It was sort of a lose-lose situation here. Inside, it was far cooler but the footing was deep. Outside, the footing was better but the entire arena was on a hill, and the sun was borderline insufferable.

Super crappy photo


Today, Liz started right off by calling us over to the center. From the ground, she took the reins and started to show me how I need to ask Hampton to release not just his neck, but his jaw and poll. He did pull his typical "off the grid" mindset on her, even standing still. He stares at something and I swear you could tie a crane to the reins and he would ignore it.

But eventually, he did release and I could see that tell-tale crest flip starting to happen.

I need to remember that it's ok to let Hamps be long and low and stretchy. He does not have to be uphill right off the bat. He has to come into suppleness and a better balance. If there is no suppleness, everything else suffers. The connection has to be playful, not static.

Off we went to work and I immediately had a softer horse who was offering more self carriage. I'd like to get him to a point where I can release more often and he stays softer for longer. We have a tendency to both get "stuck." Not really a pulling match, but not soft either.

Then it was time to check the changes. We tried the difficult lead first and .... WHAM! Got it on the first damn try!!

Unfortunately we both then decided to make sure it was not a fluke (spoiler: it was) and try for it again. And again. And again. It just kept getting worse. Late behind. Late. Late. Lurching. Even the GOOD change was late behind a couple of times. OMG WHY!!!! FML

via GIPHY

In my heart I figured it was probably Hampton just tired and muscle sore from the footing. But then Liz offered to get on! Um, of COURSE YOU CAN!

Liz rewarding Hampton for being a very good boy


She tried multiple tricks in her book, and interestingly enough ... she never got a good clean change either. She had a couple of close calls (which she was quick to reward him for), but for some reason he was really struggling.

Part of me thinks that I just trained that bad change on him REAL GOOOD. And part of me thinks he just doesn't understand how to organize his legs with the aids yet. A clean change in this direction is totally possible. We have done it many times - even in shows. There is just a disconnect somewhere. Very frustrating, but unfortunately common.

I was a little bummed we did not get to touch on the pirouettes but the footing was just too much. I was so happy with Hampton and his work. He just kept trying even though I know it was hard for him.

I feel like we got some great homework from this clinic and I really enjoyed watching and learning from the other riders as well. Many of us worked on the basics which I loved! Every pair came out looking better than when they started. Liz is not only a great teacher and trainer, but is highly knowledgeable in areas like saddle fit, health, nutrition, etc.

Plus she is a fellow Phish and Grateful Dead Fan.
Hippies unite!!!

4 comments:


  1. It's possible that he had some sort of minor soreness issue, or got tired, or got confused, or you gave him confusing direction, and he has temporarily forgotten how to change. Sometimes a little bit of a jump helps to get a missing lead or change without making a big deal out of it. Can you get the change at a more forward canter over a ground pole or small crossrail? Make it easy for him to do right without either of you worrying about the aids or timing or a dressage correct change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummer that the change is proving so tricky in that one direction, tho it must have felt reassuring that the professional wasn't quite able to get it either. all the same tho hopefully Hampton is figuring it out!! sounds like a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel a bit vindicated when I'm struggling with something and the clinician also finds it difficult :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!