Saturday, December 12, 2015

Developing the bigger trot

We have returned to the land of dressage after our little affair with eventer land.

womp womp.

One of many (MANY!) things we work on is developing Hampton's trot. For reference, here is a video from 4 years ago. It's an intro test, and shows his "natural" trot. It's not disgusting, but it's totally ordinary and pretty flat. He pony trots "over his shoulders" quite a bit. He is barefoot.




Compare to today's video of a little bit of medium trot. Note how he has developed the ability to push off the ground, and reach with his shoulders instead of falling all over them. (Again, barefoot)




Can he be more uphill? Yes. That is something I will always struggle with in Hampton's work. Frankly, the only time he is TOO uphill is when he is rearing. So, there is that. Does he have more trot in there? YES. I could kick on and ask for more, but I feel that maintaining the rhythm and balance at this point is more important. Had this not had been at the end of a pretty hard session (the hot mess that has become our flying changes is another post for another day), I might have asked for another diagonal and gone for it more. No, we will never look like some international CDI pair. But he has come quite a long way.

So what are some exercises to help your non-Valegro-moving horse move a little bit better? Trust me, if Hampton's trot can improve - ANYONE can improve their horse's trot. Here are some of my favorites:
This was our First Level "lengthening" a few years ago.
Yeah, NON-EXISTENT.
Later that year, we started getting a little bit better at Second Level.
Ok, now we are rockin and rollin a little bit.


1. Forward and back.
I basically LIVE in these types of transitions. This work is pretty boring - UNTIL you really start to feel the result. It's constant "sit, now push. Sit, now push." You have to have quick reactions both forward and back. Don't be afraid to make it ugly a time or two. Then ask quietly again.
Issues: Hampton likes to try and run through me. Nope, not allowed. If this happens, then do a full transition like trot to halt. A rein back may be needed. OR, he will not react forward quick enough. Possibly even suck back (A Hampton classic). If this happens, WHAM with both legs. Maybe even the whip. Be prepared for a jolt forward, or even a buck. That's ok. As long as the horse goes forward, that is what you wanted. Then come back and try again. I have this discussion with Hampton almost everyday. But after 10 minutes of forward and back, he will go forward (think medium) and then collect just off my seat. But yes, at first it can be a little ugly. Do not be afraid of that.

Bad halt. Not square and over the shoulders.
Bad.
That's better!

2. Trot - Halt - Rein Back - Trot
Repeat, repeat repeat. Again, the reactions have to be SHARP. And for more advanced horses, NO WALK STEPS into the halt. Sometimes I have to tickle with the whip within the aid for the halt in order for Hampton to bend his hocks and step under. Otherwise, our halts are on the forehand and lazy. For an added challenge, do a double rein-back. So trot, halt rein back ... walk forward maybe 4 steps, rein back, trot off. My tried and true method to bring the poll up.
Issues: Don't do this too much right before a show. You don't want your horse thinking rein back when you halt at X. :)


3. Lateral work to power.
Fellow blogger TempiChange gets credit for introducing me to this. Shoulder in down the long side, at B (or E), straighten and think Totilas trot. Ask for as much power as your horse will offer. You can also do this out of Travers, but shoulder-in worked best for Hamps because he made him sit back on his hind end. For added difficulty, try this on a circle. Add in travers and renvers on a circle, add in half steps. Then power forward and see what your horse has to offer.
Issues: Your horse will probably only be able to sustain the power trot for a few steps at a time. Eventually, a long side. And so on. Be happy with some good steps at first. It's a totally different balance. You may feel like you are getting run away with (I did.) It's ok if your horse breaks, loses rhythm, etc. Just bring back, balance and try again. Reward often. The first few times I did this, I will admit that Hampton got PRETTY lit. So if you have a horse of a more hot or sensitive nature, I would not drill this. Bits and pieces. :) Always return to suppleness after this exercise because you will probably lose some.

Just don't let your horse stay stuck in the neck and poll, like this pair. ha.

4. Transitions within lateral work.
Remember those forward and back thingies? Now try them within leg yields, shoulder-ins and half pass. For example, leg yield across the diagonal. Start slow, then ask for power, then collect. Hampton has a tendency to lose the forward especially in lateral work. So we work a lot on getting that reaction. I don't care if you are in shoulder-in, you need to go forward anyway! Hampton is king of speed evasions, so if you also have one of these creatures - be diligent. Is your rhythm slowing down and you don't want it to? Fix it!
Issues: Not getting a reaction? Do full transitions. Leg yield in trot. Walk (keep leg yielding), trot off again - stay in the leg yield. Or go across the diagonal and think extended trot, then turn it into a leg yield.

Now we have some power to play with!

5. Think a little passage.
After you and your horse have spent some time developing the above exercises, you can use all that strength and ask for the IDEA of passage. Just a couple of steps at first. Some horses will pick this up faster than others, so don't get frustrated. Once your horse has the idea, then you can think a little passage but let it go forward into a normal trot. Sounds so easy. It is not. If anyone would like a post on how I taught Hampton passage, I would be happy to write that out. Does he passage like Valegro? No. But it's installed and it has helped a lot in teaching him push.
Issues: Some horses may learn this and then use it against you as an evasion. Ask me how I know.


I hope this helps! I am no expert, but these have helped me and Hampton a lot along our journey so far. Happy dressaging!

10 comments:

  1. what a change in his trot. Thanks for sharing those exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this post and seeing the photo development of Hampton's trot into a true medium. Would love to have a post or two about developing his passage and more posts about exercises you have used to fix specific problems. I am stuck in the hinterland between first and second level with a non-big moving horse and I find a lot of your training tips and observations really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bookmarking this post. Extremely helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also bookmarking (for the future).
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this post!! And I totally agree with everything. I love the trot-halt-reinback-trot exercise, it was so crucial in training Rico's collected to extended response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be using every single one of these! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So timely! Thank you! :D Currently trying to develop a nice bigger trot, these exercises look great

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, thanks for taking the time to put it all together. and WOW what a cool comparison of his trot development!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!