Those who are friends with me on FB probably already know that the Lainey Ashker clinic was a total success. It was far too much fun and frankly made me want to quit pure dressage and take up eventing or the jumpers. Why are lessons with eventers so much more fun?! Everyone there would cheer and clap when you got shit done. It was incredibly supportive and a total blast. Unlike dressage clinics, where the rail birds whisper about how shitty you are.
Then there was the horse. We hauled over (maybe a 5 min drive) to a GORGEOUS indoor arena that belongs to a large barrel racing facility. Hampton hopped right off the trailer and walked into the arena like it ain't no thang. I guess I should stop acting like he is a green bean anymore, because he is not. He is a veteran and acts like one.
![]() |
| So wild. |
My friend thankfully let me borrow her awesome saddle and we went right to work. After a quick warmup, we started with a grid. Trot pole, vertical, one stride (with a pole), to a vertical then out.
Lainey says to me "Oh, the dressage horse showed up to play!" ... and when he jumped through that grid the first time, people were silent because Hampton jumps like a damn show hunter. Seriously, you guys he has some serious talent for jumping. I just try to stay tall and keep out of his way.
After a few times through the grid, we started right off with a course. We did have two silly stops - one at a plank, and one at the barrels. Hampton was very honest about it, it wasn't dirty at all. He is just still green in between the fences. He doesn't know to land and look for another jump. His greenness there is no fault of his own, just inexperience. But after those little stops, he caught on to the game and was a damn unicorn the rest of the day.
![]() |
| This is my unicorn. |
Little issues that popped up were the same issues we deal with in dressage. He is chronically behind the leg. You will see my position is somewhat defensive because I was driving him like mad in between fences. The more forward he was, the straighter I could keep him. I felt like I was flying, but as you will see in the video we are merely cantering. Toward the end, he got a lot better though. Lainey was really complimentary of my position, which left me beaming because it is something I have always struggled with. For some reason, I was really on fire that day and did not jump ahead much at all. My lower leg was a little loose at times but I expected that, being a DQ and all. haha.
![]() |
| Gallop! |
Anyway, we did bending lines, sharpish turns and jumping the skinny barrels. The jumps were not huge - maybe 2'6" .... the big oxer at the end of the arena might have been 2'9" at the end of the session. As you will see in the video, Hampton jumps cute as a button but ... he isn't really trying. The jumps are a cakewalk for him.
Hampton seemed to have a great time and got an excellent education that day. I bet the next time I jump him, I will have a different horse. He left with a lot more confidence. So did I! The jumps never looked big to me, which tells me that my confidence has really been boosted. Hell, when she comes back I may just ask to be in the Novice group again. Clearly, we were not overfaced.
At the end, Lainey comes up to me and says "You ride very well, that's no bullshit." Major, major compliment coming from someone like her.
I am going to make it a point to incorporate more jumping in our schedule. At least once a week or every other week. Hampton loves it. Except that I may need to buy a jump saddle again .... ugh. :)





He clearly loves it! How fun :) Sounds like a great clinic :D
ReplyDeleteShe's so cool, good job!
ReplyDeleteHappy for you - the video was awesome! :D
ReplyDeleteAw Hampton! What a good pony! I wish Pig was sound enough to jump for real!
ReplyDeleteWow! He looks fantastic. You definitely need to jump him more.
ReplyDeleteAwesome clinic. You two look amazing.
ReplyDeletewooo way to go! looks like you both had a blast!
ReplyDeleteYou guys look great!! :-) He is such a nice jumper.
ReplyDeleteHe's such a cute jumper!!
ReplyDelete