Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Rein lameness

You get old photos for this post

So I mentioned in my previous post that Hampton is struggling with some rein-lameness within the lateral work.

It is most pronounced in half pass (especially left); shoulder-in (especially right); and haunches in (pretty much both ways but worse to the left). He is 100% sound going in straight lines, circles, tight circles, on the lunge, on trails, open fields and free out in his pasture. Sand or pavement.

So my little project now is figuring out exactly what is causing this issue, and how to fix it.

I've always tried to be honest on this blog, and I want people to know that we are not perfect. This is a real problem that has most likely been brought about by incorrect riding and likely pressuring Hampton beyond his ability. He is a sensitive fellow, and very emotional. But before I go blaming myself, let's discuss what causes rein-lameness (sometimes caused bridle lame).

May 2014


What is it?
Rein lameness typically indicates the lack of symmetrical movement.

Possible causes

  • Crooked
  • Horse forced or "trapped" into a "frame"
  • Use of draw reins (see above)
  • Too much riding front to back (pulling on reins too much)
  • Too severe bit
  • Braced or heavy in the bridle
  • A defensive behavior as a result of anxiety (protecting one side)
  • Being pushed beyond ability or balance
  • Over reactive to rider's leg, so rider does not use the leg to properly align the horse
  • Rider does not have independent seat/bumps horse in the mouth each stride
Hampton is unique in that most rein lame horses can be "ridden sound" by straightening them through lateral work. Hampton is sound otherwise, but goes lame in the lateral work.

Of course he would be the special one.




Where to start
I am starting to address this problem from head to toe. First, I need to make sure there isn't any true physical pain going on. So, Hampton has an appointment with an equine dentist AND the farrier on Monday. We will see how those go, and if need be our regular vet will come out for a lameness evaluation to see if he can see something I don't. I also may try the bute test and give him bute the morning of a ride and see if the problem improves. If it does, then it's probably real pain somewhere and not a balance or tension issue.

Solutions
Once physical pain has been ruled out, then it's probably safe to say this is a mechanical problem. It's probably a learned behavior and/or habit, and may or may not be fixable. By nature, Hampton has a rigid neck and tight shoulders. Plus he gets anxious about hard work sometimes, and had a tendency to brace. That right there is a recipe for rein lameness. Throw in a rider who has no clue what she is doing in dressage land ... well, we were doomed already.



Other notes

  •  I have had two other "professionals" ride Hampton and he was rein lame in lateral work with both of them as well.
  • He currently has 4 shoes on 
  • Saddle has recently been reflocked and fitted by a master saddler
  • At dressage camp he was mildly rein lame on Friday (they day he was a nutjob), but was perfectly sound the other two days and we did many half passes and shoulder in
  • The rein lameness only appears at the trot
  • He lives outdoors 24/7
  • He gets Theraplate treatment almost daily
  • He is on Lubrysin
This horse! Always teaching me something. Sheesh.

8 comments:

  1. it is a puzzle but I'm sure you will figure it out given how methodical you're being.

    I rode a horse that was rein lame - for him it would happen if he was not ridden forward enough and from behind. Once you did that he was fine.

    My older horse does it at the trot and for him the solution is to ensure contact with the outside rein and ride him forward but not let him speed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping it is a 'simple' fix. I know how much time, energy, and heart you put into Hampton and you make a lovely pair. Sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck sorting it out. i worry a lot about mechanical lameness in my mare (well, i worry a lot about a lot of things all the time haha) so will be curious to hear how things go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't beat yourself up too much. It's one of those things that's so easy to slip into accidentally. My mare was that way and it did eventually get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for going into the rein lameness. it was not a concept i'd heard before you mentioned it!

    i'm also very interested in your experience with lubrisyn. have you written about it previously (i couldn't find anything...)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually rode a gelding who was rein lame. The "fix" for him was actually pretty simple, as he was ridden in a pretty severe bit with a very handsy rider in the past... It just took him time to work out of it. Good luck to you and Hampton though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this. I've never heard of this term before; looking forward to following along as you go through the process of figuring it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!