Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Donuts in the sandbox

First show of the season is in the books!

I wish we had had the chance to get out to a schooling show first, but it just did not work out that way. Hampton was a LUNATIC the week leading up to the show. I thought about scratching because I just could not control his behavior. But I decided to suck it up and see what happened.

Turns out, he magically turned back into quiet, normal Hampton at the show. When we schooled on Friday he was a bit hot and squirrely, but not bad. By Saturday he was calm and collected.

A good boy!

Our first test was Third 1. I am just going to give up on this test because we ALWAYS bomb it. He was actually well behaved, but there was some rooting and tension. The judge was generous to give us a 59. 

Unfortunately, Hampton is quite rein-lame in all the lateral work (shoulder-in and half pass).
This can come and go at home, but all weekend it was very pronounced. It pretty much slaughtered our tests. I have no doubt we can pull a 65% at Third if we can just fix this "unevenness." He is totally sound going straight. I believe it is an issue with locked shoulders and a locked neck, and lack of engagement behind.

A tad above the bit, but that's OK when it's Hampton. I will take it!

Early morning graze
Our next test was Third 3, far more difficult. It went pretty well and we scored a 62% - giving us a qualifying score for regionals. He was more ridable in this test, but still not very supple. And still rein lame. But many good moments.

Left half pass in where he is most rein lame (on the left front)



Please excuse my show clothes. They are HUGE on me and I look sloppy.
I had a weird breakdown in February in which I lost 20 pounds and did not eat for DAYS. Obviously I can't afford brand new show clothes so I am hoping these will fit again soon.


Sunday morning was again Third 1. It actually went ok. No major bobbles except one late change.
This judge gave us a hilarious 54%. The rein lameness destroyed us. Also, I think that I am going to have to accept that some judges just are not going to like us. Hampton has a "unique" way of going, and sometimes looks like a stiff QH. Some judges just are not going to score him well.

Extended walk looking pretty good

Pretty uphill for Hamps!

Can we talk about the dapples on his butt?! :)

Sunday afternoon we did one more Third-3 and it rode quite well. My coach said we were still very crooked, and I felt like Hampton was not very supple. We got dinged again for rein lameness, but had many 7.5's. We ended up pulling out a 62%+ and also reserve high point AA Third Level for the day. (The judges were scoring very low all weekend).

So we are all qualified for regionals!

Good effort from Hampton, but we still have occasional moments where he dives down.
Once he can maintain the balance, his mediums are going to SMOKE the ring.

So overall, a good show. The scores don't really reflect that. I had my moments where I thought maybe Hampton has topped out.
If this rein lameness cannot be fixed, he can't move up. It would be a shame because he has talent with changes, and the 3 Ps. But we are just going to keep working at it and see what happens. I suspect he is just going to need much more strength and suppleness due to his conformation.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix rein lameness within the lateral work, I am all ears.

His uphill balanced has improved, but still isn't 100% consistent in the ring (see above photo). He is still searching to find in balance a lot of times, too. Sometimes I forget that he doesn't even turn 8 until the end of June. He is still young, and big, and still has awkward moments. And it's ok. 

In other news: I got really drunk with Austen from Guiness on Tap, and also hung out with Jen from A Cob Jockey. These two gals are AWESOME. 

Austen had really great rides as well, and is in general a total badass. Guiness is such a nice horse and they are going to do great things. I was bummed I missed her rides but they were smokin' from what little I saw in the warm up rings. I am really going to miss her around the show circuit. 

And Jen is about the nicest person ever. Because I was white-girl wasted (well, for a 35 year old. haha), she let me crash on her couch. She and her hubby also cooked dinner which was probably the reason I wasn't as hungover as I should have been on Sunday morning. I was amazed I was able to sit the trot without yakking.

Than you ladies for such a fun evening! I felt like I was in my late 20s again. Until I drank too much wine and quickly waved the white flag.

So ... what's our plan now? More lessons, and more schooling shows. I need to be able to really ride him in the ring. Sometimes we both "walk on eggshells" in the ring and it just results in tension.

It will probably be a couple of months before another rated show, so hopefully we can improve our scores. :)




12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend! Congrats on qualifying! I have a feeling you are being a bit over critical of you and Hampton. Either way I think you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and a good list to work on. You picked the right pictures to post because you guys look pretty awesome. :) Sounds like a fun time with the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...No input on the rein lameness but I hope you can get it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That half-pass photo - wow! Congrats on Regional qualifying scores! Hope to see you both in action sometime this season :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! You think you old-lady'd it out this weekend? I'm the one who passed out flat by 10p! :)

    You forgot to mention that Hampersand (which I have decided is my nickname for Hampton) did one of the most amazing canter transitions ever in your warmup for 3-3 on Saturday! Seriously, guys. He levitated into the air for a whole second before continuing in the most uphill canter ever. It might be harder for him, but when he does it... DAAAAAAMN. Don't give up on him, girl!

    It was SOOO fun to see you! I'm sad to move away!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. How do I get your trainer to take pictures of me? I love her photos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that canter picture that you captioned "pretty uphill..." is gorgeous, he looks fantastic! I wish I had seen your tests. Congratulations on the qualifying scores!

    Thanks for crashing and not minding the sleeping-bag-on-a-couch situation! It was awesome to get to spend time with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay congrats on the qualifying scores! sounds like an awesome show - and wishing you luck on the rein lameness. he looks like such a cool horse i hope you can find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No ideas on fixing dressage, but I was actually loving your coat. It's fantastic. :-) Glad you had a good show and totally jealous of the blogger party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two look fantastic! Congratulations on qualifying for regionals.
    Re rein lameness - I'm not sure, but I think my horse Rogo and I may have had this issue on and off for a couple of years, ending a year ago. No one said that, and he was also lame on the lunge line, but that can be a learned way of going from the research I read. No diagnostic tests could identify a cause.
    A new farrier fixed things for me. As the training became more demanding Rogo's need for balance in his shoeing became greater and his old farrier wasn't someone experienced in shoeing competitive horses advancing in their training.
    There was another change I made at the same time he got a new farrier, and my husband thinks it was the bigger cause of the improvement. We started turning him out with a VERY high energy OTTB. My laid back baby ran and ran and ran and played and ran some more. It seemed he forgot to be lame. The little hitch / hop he had just disappeared.
    It would come and go a bit at first, but it happened when I was holding with my inside rein too much. If I released it and pushed him forward he was sound. In lateral work I had to make sure he was completely into the outside rein and not bending with use of the inside rein. It took months but now the imbalance is gone and he's completely sound (hope I'm not jinxing myself).
    Anyway, I really know nothing about rein lameness, but I think my issue might have been similar so thought I'd share it. If you really think it's at the point where you can't fix it and Hampton can't continue to progress then scrape together every penny you can and get to a very, very experienced and accomplished clinician. They will have encountered it and they'll know how to fix it if it can be fixed. This isn't at all to suggest your trainer isn't wonderful (obviously she is - you've accomplished tons and look great), but someone who has worked at the top levels for decades has such vast knowledge. They can do wonders i situations like this.
    Good luck with it and again, you guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on qualifying! It sounds like you had some good moments which is super, well done! I hope you manage to figure out what to do about his rein lameness.

    bonita of A Riding Habit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!