Wednesday, December 3, 2014

2014 Goals and comments

At the beginning of the year, I wrote a post about my goals for 2014.

Let's review 2014, shall we?



Here is what I laid out for myself:

Goals for 2014:
  • Show Third Level, get my bronze medal.
  • By fall, show a kamakazie Fourth Level test.
  • Attend FHF adult dressage camp
  • Attend JJ Tate clinic in April (Lexington). At the very least, audit.
  • Buy a new saddle
  • School more Fourth/PSG
  • After I blow all my savings on a saddle, start saving for a used truck
  • Always always put Hampton first, let him tell me what he's ready for
  • Host a clinic at the farm
  • Attend 2 rated shows if financially possible

1) Show Third Level, get my bronze: SUCCESS! It was not without struggle, that is for sure. But we did manage to get those scores in May. Later in the year, I improved on those scores so I felt like I did actually "earn" that Bronze medal, instead of scraping by.

2) Show a kamikaze Fourth Level test: No, we didn't do this. We just were not ready and trying to reach this goal would have just set me up for more disappointment. We maybe could have pulled off 4-1 but sticking to Third resulted in more positive experiences. There is no rush anyway!



3) Attend FHF adult dressage camp: No, because it was on the same dates as the JJ Tate clinic. 

4) Attend JJ Tate Clinc: Yes, and it was AWESOME.

5) Buy a new saddle: Yes! I have enjoyed my Amerigo this year but it is for sale now. It is a perfectly great saddle but I am fighting with it some because of my long thigh. So, I will be shopping for another one over the winter. Yay.



6) School more 4th/PSG: Success! We have started pirouettes and continued developing Hampton's fancy trot. I have played around with some tempis as well although the flying changes are still a major weak point and need more polish before we try any test with tempi changes.

7) Start saving for a used truck: Nope. Not even in the cards. It will likely be years before I am in any sort of financial situation to buy a second vehicle. I'd likely have to get a better paying job. OR sell the horse. That's just reality, but it's not such a big deal as I do have the ability to borrow a close friend's truck if I need it.



8) Always put Hampton first, let him tell me what he's ready for: Success.This is so interesting that I wrote this well before the year blew up in my face. Because this theme is really what 2014 was all about. In the spring, I stood up for my horse and I stood up for myself. You cannot let people bully you and manipulate you. Others wanted to write Hampton off. I realize he is not international material. I really don't want an international horse (yet). I want an enjoyable horse who is more than a competition vehicle. He is my buddy, a member of my family. But you also never write Hampton off as a dressage horse. You may think he isn't capable, but he will keep on trying. I never thought he would learn passage. Or even be able to do a decent flying change. Too bad so many people pass up the mediocre horses on first glance. Their loss!



9) Host a clinic at the farm: Nope. Things just didn't fall into place here. Not a big deal.

10) Attend 2 rated shows: Success! I am hoping to repeat this for 2015, and possibly add a 3rd rated show. I am currently working 3 jobs in hopes to start a savings account. And by savings account, I mean more money for showing. haha. Half kidding.

Next up: Year In Review and 2015 Goals.

14 comments:

  1. Great job! Hope the amerigo sells and you can buy a saddle that works for you best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the goals and congrats on your medal! You guys look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! You nailed all the important goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People who treat horses as a means to en end, are often the ones who underestimate them (and worse). You and handsome Hampton are a great team - looking forward to a successful 2015 for you two! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! I have enjoyed watching you and Hampton progress over the past couple of years. Looking forward to running into you two at 2015 shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you achieving goals! I'm been sort of dreading this write up, because I suspect I completed approximately zero of my goals for the year. Ha. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such an amazing job with Hamps this year. You two have SO MUCH to be proud of. :)

    3 jobs?! Gurrrl. How you do dis? I barely handle one plus pony!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many accomplishments you two! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty successful year, nice work! Good luck finding a new saddle that you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2014 sounds like a success! Good for you for sticking up for yourself and your horse.

    I'm sure 2015 will be even more awesome :)

    I also have three jobs with the hope of a savings account!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should really do something like this! You guys have accomplished SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on all your accomplishments! need to do a goals review as well! the year is almost over :o

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total bummer about the saddle, saddle shopping is the worst. Congratulations on a really successful year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!