Several other bloggers have done breeches reviews, so here is mine. I love breeches and probably would be a breeches snob if I could afford to. However, I am a difficult fit because I have no waist, no hips and no butt to speak of. I'm picking my "best" breeches to review.
So here goes.
So here goes.
Breeches: SmartPak Piper Full seat (navy/brown)
How they look on the model:
How they look on me:
![]() |
| WAY too baggy. Crotch sags. Ugh. However, in the winter they DO fit great when I layer fleece tights under them. |
Verdict:
I like these breeches, but I think I may be in between sizes. I am afraid if I go a size down, that the waist will be too small. And I CANNOT. STAND. anything tight around my stomach or waist. (I have a nasty case of chronic acid reflux disease and tight clothing actually triggers it. TMI)
However, these breeches do stay really clean through barn chores. And so far have not ripped or torn, and I do still wear them often. I like the blue with brown full seat, too. They have the "socks" around your ankles which I love. But I probably will not buy another pair.
I give them a B-
However, these breeches do stay really clean through barn chores. And so far have not ripped or torn, and I do still wear them often. I like the blue with brown full seat, too. They have the "socks" around your ankles which I love. But I probably will not buy another pair.
I give them a B-
Breeches: Kingsland Jessica knee patch
How they look on the model:
How they look on me:
![]() |
| Cute butt logo showing |
Verdict: I guess it pays to compulsively check glance over at SmartPak's sale page. These breeches were originally listed at close to $300. WAY out of my price range, but the sale bin had them for $72!! And in my size! What?! I thought if I hated them I could probably sell them for a profit on eBay. I love the cute pocket linings, and on one butt cheek it does have the Kingsland logo. But in my opinion it is cute and is flattering on me considering I have no butt to speak of. The khaki color is also a bit darker than what it appears in this photo. They fit me nicely - OF COURSE, since now I want another pair and cannot afford it. They do not have the velcro at the ankles, which is another plus in my book. They are comfy to ride in and hay/dirt/slobber does not stick to them. I just wish they were a full seat because they are somewhat slick to ride in. They are just a tad tight around my belly, but not too bad. I think going a size up would make them too big on me. I give them an A.
Breeches: Tuff Rider Bamboo plaid full seats
How they look on the model:
How they look on me:
Verdict: These are naturally wrinkle-resistent since the fabric is made from bamboo. This is a good thing for lazy people like me who rarely, if ever, iron. I have had this pair of breeches for several years and there is not a tear in them. Granted, they have gotten just a bit smaller from me running them in the dryer (either that or I have gotten taller?) but not to the point where they do not fit me anymore. They don't sag anywhere, which I like. But also are not too tight. They have survived many rides, washes and barn chores. The plaid is cute and not too loud; and while they are probably not suitable for the true breeches snob, they are super breeches for everyday work. They also stay quite cool in the summer. The belt loops are sort of small/narrow for my preference. And there is velcro around your ankles. Boo. They run about $85-$90.
I give them a B+.
I give them a B+.
Breeches: Tredstep Symphony Knee Patch
Verdict:
These are by far my favorite breeches. I don't have a photo of me in them off a horse, but they fit quite nice. They are probably just a touch baggy, but not nearly as bad as the pipers. Plus, I like being able to move in them. And bend over without fear of crack showing. I do wish I had gotten the full seat, but these are great anyway. They have the socks around the ankles (yay!), big belt loops, and they do stay nice and clean through everyday chores. The only complaint I have is that they have started to fade a bit. They are comfy and look very nice. I am going to have to buy another pair, but they do run $100+. I give them an A.
___
I do own several other pairs, which are pretty crappy so I won't do a review on them. :) They are the breeches I wear when I am out of clean laundry, or when it's so cold at the barn I don't care what I look like. haha.
Anyone have any recommendations for brands for someone shaped like me? And by that I mean a girl who has no shape at all?
___
I do own several other pairs, which are pretty crappy so I won't do a review on them. :) They are the breeches I wear when I am out of clean laundry, or when it's so cold at the barn I don't care what I look like. haha.
Anyone have any recommendations for brands for someone shaped like me? And by that I mean a girl who has no shape at all?





Nice review, the waist on the SP breeches tends to be looser then on the legs. I bought a 26, yeah they are very form fitting but I always think the waist is on the loose side, might be worth trying and returning if it doesn't work out.
ReplyDeleteThe ariat heritages might work. One of my friends is shaped like you and she loves them :)
ReplyDeleteWe are totally shaped differently (I'm all hip and thigh, with no waist. Also between a regular and tall. Ugh.), but I LOOOOVE my plaid bamboo breeches. Seriously my favorite pair in the summer. I'm thinking of springing for nicer pair in white for showing. My show breeches are really cheap, and drive me nuts. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm also a compulsive Smartpak sales stalker. The things you find!
I was about to say the same thing as L. My piper breeches are good waist wise, but really tight through my legs. You may just need to size down!
ReplyDeleteI have the "I have no butt but have really long legs" problems. People seem to think the larger size you need means you just have a really big butt and your legs dont grow?
ReplyDeleteLOVE that canter picture!
I am determined to actually get some decent breeches this year at some point.
ReplyDeleteSo.. thanks for the post.