Sunday, March 30, 2014

Dehydrated

When I pulled Hamps out of his stall today, I immediately knew something was not right.

He is quite tucked up in his flanks, and when I did the pinch test on some skin on his neck, there was definite tenting. Sure signs of dehydration.



When I rode him Friday I thought he felt weak behind as well. I wonder if the dehydration was already kicking in then. I watched him pee today as well and it was darker than usual.

My gut says he probably is not tying up. He shows no soreness at all. No relectance to move. No tying up symptoms really. However, our barn worker reported that Thursday evening the horses were running around like idiots (chilly, rain, wind, you know how it goes). And Friday I found Hampton's sheet out in the field - absolutely destroyed (straps ripped off, etc). Did he run around like an idiot that night and tie up? did he get stuck in his blanket and panic? So he COULD have had a mild episode, but honestly he has been moving great. He just felt ... weak... on Friday. I blamed it on too much playing in the field.

The horses just recently switched to night turn out. Has that triggered something? I went into mild paranoid mode. Did he get into a toxic plant? Is something else going on? He feed has not changed (other than the fact that he is now eating more grass since he is turned out longer), and he has access to salt blocks.



His vitals are all normal. He poo is very normal. He has a great appetite and is still a treat whore. His eyes are bright and glassy, gums normal. So I managed to talk myself off the ledge. I treated him with some electrolytes** and he did drink about half a bucket. yay!

He has gotten a bit dehydrated on me a couple of times before. Come to think of it, it has been this time of year. So if he does not show improvement tomorrow, I am going to call the vet and run fluids on him (IV saline probably). Maybe draw blood and see what he says.

Hoping he drinks a ton of water tonight and recovers. Don't really like to mess around with dehydration.


**I would ask your vet before giving just any dehydrated horse electrolytes as in certain situations (ie when the horse is not eating or drinking at all), it could make it worse.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, man. :( I hope life cuts you guys a break ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeek poor Hamps. We were just talking yesterday how the crazy weather could lead to issues for the horses. Hope he recovers and is good as gold soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary! I hope he gets better quickly and that it's nothing serious. I tend to immediately go into panic mode too so I understand how you feel.

    Did you check his turn out water source? Maybe he's dehydrated because he doesn't like the water or maybe there is a dead bird in it or something? The fact that he drank half a bucket inside just makes me curious if it could be that. I have my fingers crossed you figure out what it is and everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Scary! The bipolar spring weather can cause that sort of dehydration in horses here, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it. Way to be so proactive. A lot of people wouldn't notice those symptoms. Hampton's a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might want to put him on electrolytes with vet's okay once he's back to drinking normally. Can't hurt! I need to get Simon back on them when the heat kicks up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping Hampton has nothing serious brewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!