Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Snow birds
It's winter. And it has snowed.
And we don't have an indoor.
This is the time of year in which I have to 1) Suck it up and 2) Be creative with where we ride.
At the moment the arena is ok, it's basically a bunch of slush. Probably fine to hack in, but I'm not about to go around popping lead changes and doing a bunch of lateral work in it. Before it snowed, we got a wonderful layer of ice first. yay.
The jump field is actually better to ride in. Which is what we have been doing. It's fun for me (as long as my extremities do not freeze) and Hampton gets a good work out because he has to pick up his feet to plow through the snow, PLUS go uphill a large majority of the time. It's still only ok to walk and trot in but that's fine with me. I just work on keeping a steady rhythm and both of us staying soft and loose. The snow and hills do the rest of the work for me. The break from the intense dressage work has been good for both of us. It won't hurt to just work on suppling, fitness and rhythm until the arena is in better shape.
(There is a clinic I want to go to in March though. If only I had a damn truck)
The Pampered Hamper is also getting soaked alfalfa cubes again. I haven't given him this since he was so skinny in Indiana. But I noticed he has lost some weight (I no longer have to heave-ho when putting the girth on), and has not been drinking as much as I'd like.
(I need to do a review on the Equine Aid I tried. Long story short, Hampton didn't even touch it)
Giving him a nice mash of the soaked cubes works for both of those issues. Plus he just loves it and licks his tub clean. He drank an entire bucket of water last night, too. Victory!
While I'm not a fan of the snow ... it does sort of make me want to break out a sled and try skijoring with Hampton. :) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sure this is just the snow deprived Texan in me speaking... but I would love to hack around in the snow!
ReplyDeleteWho's the clinic with? And where :)))
ReplyDeleteAlso Skijoring... Next snow I vote yes. I am in ;)
ahh the plight of riding with no arena. Add that to not getting home until after dark and then you really have a depressing scene. Good for you for get out there.
ReplyDeleteFYI, do you feed loose salt? If not, add a small scoop to his feed 2x daily and he will likely start drinking a lot more.