Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Under pressure

I think dressage teaches me something new every day. 

On Tuesday I had a lesson with L (new instructor) and we started teaching Hampton passage. If you had told me that Hampton would learn passage before the end of 2013 I would have laughed in your face. But, here we are.



We all know that Hamps is not the most gifted horse in the movement department. Teaching him passage is going to help improve his trot. So in the end he will have his passage and then I am hoping to have a sort of hybrid passage trot that will be the trot I bring to the ring.

Anyway, here is is how we started introducing that to him.

Start with half steps. Hampton has a real knack for half steps. He has learned to do this even though I have no idea what I am doing. The concept just made perfect sense to him. Then ask for real piaffe. Again, this came pretty easy for Hampton. He's quite good at staying animated with his hind legs. My instructor does not even need to walk beside us with a whip. (note: Please don't think that we do some Olympic level perfect piaffe. He schools this very nicely for a 6 year old, lol).

Normal BLAH trot will hopefully improve.

Once in piaffe I think "Ok this engagement but bigger steps." But to Hampton I am sure this sounds like "Go go go ... no whoa whoa  GOO ... whoa, stay here, stay with me .. GO GO"

And then all of a sudden he was dancing!! It was for real the coolest thing. He can only maintain it for 4-5 steps but the gear is in there. He understood. He found the right answer.

But of course in true Dressage Rider fashion, I had to overanalyze everything. Is there another equestrian sport where we put so much mental pressure on the horse? I really could not think of one.



Now I see that perhaps the most important quality in a dressage horse is the ability to handle mental pressure. I can see how some horses may blow a gasket during this process. You are asking them to go and whoa at the same time, and you have to insist upon it at first. A real recipe for rearing if you ask me. But never once did I feel Hampton start to freak out. He just kept trying. 

So while he may be an ordinary mover, he has an extraordinary brain. In that moment when we were dancing I thought "Holy shit, I may actually ride a Grand Prix one day."

But then I snap back to reality and remember our flying changes still suck ass. ARGH.

:) 

7 comments:

  1. Interesting comment, "Now I see that perhaps the most important quality in a dressage horse is the ability to handle mental pressure." I have an Arab that can handle the pressure, but isn't the perfect moving dressage horse, and I have a Thoroughbred who has much better movement, but can't handle the pressure. It sounds as though you might have the magic mix. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mental pressure, I think you nailed it! Hampton really does seem to have a knack for working and thinking under pressure. Such a smart cookie!

    Guinness is so much harder to keep together when the pressure comes on. He's so naturally nervous, I find I need to build up his self confidence to keep him from just dissolving into a mess of bit chomping and mincing steps. That brain thing is really something!
    Great job with the passage, can't wait to see video, I bet he looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cool, fun stuff regardless of whether it is show ready or not. Just learning these steps is a big accomplishment! Congrats you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was a really incredible post. Seriously! Your perspective on your journey and what it takes to be a Dressage horse is so true. Hampton is a good guy, and he is really lucky to have such an insightful and understanding rider. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I completely agree! You've got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Are Way Too Awesome! Hampton Is Way Too Awesome! And You Are Way Too Modest About How Awesome You Both Are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always thought of dressage as just really fine communication. And if the dude is understanding your messages so well at just 6 years old, can you imagine what he'll be capable of when he gets older and his brain develops more?

    Also, I think the leads are just damn difficult sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!