![]() |
| Showing barefoot a year ago at Flying Cross Farm. |
I lunged him today to see what condition he was in and ... actually he was not too bad! Totally sound, just a bit more flat up front. More like a flippy toe hunter than the rolling movement he had before. But he did not appear sore - even when walking over gravel.
So that tells me that he will likely toughen up after a few weeks and be just fine barefoot for the winter. I prefer that because I do not like shoes + ice + snow. I'll of course continue to ride, but only in our arena (nice footing) or the grass fields. After a month or two I bet he will be fine to hack up and down the gravel lane.
I also like the fact that he feet now have a chance to breathe and reset. He has awesome feet and the shoes were more of an enhancement than a necessity. They will go back on in the spring for show season. I know some people may not agree with that, but it worked really well for us this year. And you just never know what kind of footing you are going to run into off the farm.
| From this summer. Shoes = Hampton must wear bell boots 24/7. |
Also while lunging today I noticed how strong and even his hind end has become. His little "hitch" sometimes get worse when the weather gets cold, but it was no where to be seen today. And hasn't been around in a while. He was moving wonderfully. Very fluid and loose.
We have a lesson on Saturday. Temps are supposed to be back up in the 60s. Kentucky, you slay me.

I think it's good to take the shoes off for a while to let the heels spread back out. :) I'm glad he's not sore!
ReplyDeleteI think with shoes it really just depends on the horse. Whatever works for y'all!
ReplyDeleteSo nice that you can do that! I might be able to next year--currently we're growing out racehorse feet. It's a process.
ReplyDeleteI do that every winter now...my horse that needed shoes his whole life is now barefoot. It's great for them.
ReplyDeleteI like having shoes off whenever possible, and I'm very fortunate to have a horse with good feet. It's great that you can go barefoot with Hampton as well!
ReplyDelete