Sunday, September 22, 2013

How I memorize dressage tests



This year I have not had any errors during my tests (furiously knocking on wood). This is a major improvement for me because I used to go off course in at least 1 test per show when I first started showing dressage with T-Bone and even a few times with Hampton. And these were TRAINING level tests.

But I have finally found a system of memorizing the tests that really seems to work for me. It helps to know what kind of learner you are. I am a visual learner (thus why I am a visual journalist), and I also learn by doing. I do not learn well by simply hearing things. I don't like a reader for my tests because I find it distracting. But some people find comfort in having that security blanket. Even if you do have a reader, I encourage you to still memorize your test. In case your reader messes up. Happened to me, true story. :)

So anyway here is my system.

3 weeks before the show: Look up USDF test sheet. Read it over several times. Imagine riding the test in my head as I read each movement. Start practicing (on the horse) different elements of the test. For example, shoulder-in to renvers from Second3. Or all the canter work from Second2. You get the idea.

2 weeks before the show: Watch videos (hello, you tube) of people performing the test. I try to find tests in which the rider scores really well, so that the vision in my head of that test is a good one. I will watch a video of day for 3-4 days. Seeing the test performed really helps cement the pattern in my head. Caution: Make sure you do look up the correct test on YouTube. Some videos are old and use the old USDF tests.

1 week before the show: Practice riding the test. String all elements together. Find weak areas and work on those. I may watch additional videos if I am still unsure of parts of the test.

Day of show: Read over test again. Close my eyes and visualize riding the test. Accurately. In my head, we look like JJ Tate with wonderfully bold gaits and nailing every movement. hahahaha. derrrr. (not really what we look like in reality).

During the test: SLOW. DOWN. TIME. This has helped me tremendously. Ride as if time is moving slow. I used to rush through movements, cut corners and in general be sloppy just because I felt hurried to get everything done. The judges want to see you RIDE well, not just whip out the movements. So take your time, use the corners and prepare prepare prepare for the movements.

After the test: Hampton lobbies for new rider.

The important thing for me is to study the test, then put it away for a day. Then study/practice some more. Then let it go for a day. Keep coming back to it. The key is repetition (for me, not the horse) and SEEING the test. I also do not really memorize using the letters. I tell myself things like "canter in the corner after the judge" or "free walk the short diagonal." I try to memorize the general pattern, not so much the letters. Although you do need to make sure you are accurate in accordance to the letters.

How do you memorize tests?

6 comments:

  1. Ah! Great post! I tend to be terrified that I'm going to go off course, and that makes it harder for me to access the memory of the test movements.
    Like you, I find that memorizing the pattern off location in the arena or easy to remember things ("pick up canter when you pass the judge" sort of a thing) helps a whole lot. What also helps me is dividing tests down to trot work, walk work and canter work. Then, I remember what order the test goes in. For example, in First 3: Trot, Walk, Canter, Trot. That makes it so much simpler, and I can memorize in chunks of movement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whiteboards and lots of watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could ever remember one. Hunter courses are a challenge to me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The USDF smartphone apps! I didn't ride Dressage before they came out, and I don't know how I'd memorize a test without one. I have a hard time visualizing the test based on the written test. I also learn really well by riding it before I have it totally memorized - nothing like a giant mistake in practice to make you remember that movement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting- I've found that watching you tube videos while reading the movements help me as well! And then after I memorize it, I just watch the youtube video and try to imagine doing the movements myself, and then a week before the show, visualize visualize visualize. I go to sleep visualizing! :)

    But these are novice tests... I don't know what I'll do when I get to the big levels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the technique of visualizing the test over in my mind also. I do use a reader but I always know the test. I love your tip about slowing down time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!