Thank you to those who commented about the foot issue. There were many excellent points I had not considered.
Here is what I believe is going on.
A few weeks ago, Hampton went pretty lame. I forgot to post a follow up about that. Doh. Anyway, he had over reached and sliced his heel bulb up pretty good. After a few more days of treating that, and a new pair of no-turn bell boots, he was sound again.
Hampton has always been an over-reacher. He has long legs, and a short back. He is built to over reach. That will always be an issue. After he was shod, he kept over reaching of course and I believe that he has been chronically bruising his heels now that his hind feet have shoes. He likely has some deep bruising, which is why some days he would rather I not pick up his feet and handle them.
Today I picked out all 4 feet and he was he usual, cooperative self. So that made me feel a little better. I did have treats in my back pocket though - just in case!
(It seems the horses at the farm are on a crosstying strike as Hampton is the 4th or 5th horse to break out of them in the past week.)
Last week his farrier did adjust the breakover on his front feet to help him with the over reaching issue. It did help, but did not get rid of the problem.
I bought him a lovely pair of Professional's Choice ballistic over reach boots. They seems pretty tough, and I'm going to give those a chance for a little while.
I have been looking at other types of over reach boots. There are mixed reviews. Some are no good for turn out because they ride up. Or turn. Or leave rubs on the horse. I have no problem spending the money on a pair of boots he can live in and that will not ride up or leave rubs. But some of them are upwards of $200. Jeezus.
| Grab boots from Dover. Cheap, but no good for turnout. |
| Review on these said they ride up. |
| $200 but some reviews said they rub. |
Anyone have any suggestions? So far the ProChoice boots seem to be doing a good job.
I think in the end I am just going to have his hind shoes pulled. I had the hind shoes put on to see if it would help keep his back feet from wearing off so quickly - but perhaps he was actually doing himself a favor! The shoes helped, but now his hinds grow actual foot and make the over reaching worse.
Live and learn I suppose.
Hoping to get some new conformation shots this week. SOMEONE has gained some weight and is looking rather fly.
(hint, not me)
I boarded with some people who had a very expensive mare who was a chronic over-reacher. She ripped shoes off constantly and often did a fair amount of damage to her feet. They always really liked the Professional Choice bell boots and they seemed to hold up and do the job without rubbing too badly. They also had a boots very similar to the last one you posted. It rubbed the crap out of her poor pasturns. I'd say ProChoice boots are prob your best bet (IMO).
ReplyDeleteI also own a chronic overreacher. He's not shod any more, but even so he still tends to knock himself and leave bruises. While not the fanciest, a pair of thick bottomed pull-on bell boots works wonders for him. I've left them on for months at a time without rubs (and he's incredibly delicate). Would something like be an option? You can't beat them for cost!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I've never commented here before, I've really enjoyed reading about you and Hampton!
I just use the brown gummy pull ons, don't know much about these smancy bell boots.
ReplyDeleteIrish, when he was younger pulled off a lot of front shoes with his hind feet. I used the inexpensive bell boots. They did not rub and worked very well. Occasionally he pulloed one of them off but since I only paid about $10 I didn't worry too much if I couldn't find it.
ReplyDeleteMy 2 cents, Grab Boots are No No, don't even bother!
ReplyDeleteI use those thick pull ons bell boots, like Austen uses, for Riva. Have used them ever since we put back shoes on her - only take them off at shows - no rubs and they last a long time.
ReplyDeleteNo advice here but hopefully you can get some help from others :)
ReplyDeleteI just use pull ons for Henry.
Brown gummy bell boots. TB has the thinnest skin ever... I've left them on for months and he's never pulled a shoe with them on, gotten them off, or gotten a rub. They're the only boots that have ever worked for us.
ReplyDeleteMy mare constantly pulled shoes off and I went for the cheap gummy boots. I get them for ten bucks and she wears them until they fall apart. She's a sensitive red head and they never bothered her skin even in nasty mud. They get easy to put on once u do it a few times. I tried fancier ones and she would be bloody in minutes.
ReplyDeleteHrm. Could we get a solar shot of his front hooves? Would love to see how short his break over is. Should be 50/50 in front and behind the fulcrum, which is roughly where there is a little crack in the bars where they terminate.
ReplyDeleteYou can't just bring break over significantly back in one go - does too much damage to the soft tissues and then you start at square one again. Sounds like your farrier is doing it incrementally and so the issue should get progressively better. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that a short back and long legs = inevitable over reaching. If he is continually overreaching it most often means that the break over is far too far forward. :)