I caught some of the earlier rides including crowd favorites Allie Knowles and of course Mary King. There were some super rides, and many OK ones. At the end of the day I watched William Fox Pitt warm up and suddenly there was just no comparison. He was in a league of his own. It was stunning and mesmorizing to watch him and Chilly Morning. I had to leave before his test (to go to work ... boo) but later I saw he earned a very impressive 33 on his test to take the lead.
![]() |
| I was a Peter groupie. No shame. |
I also met up with Peter Atkins (of Run Henny Run fame) for his noon course walk. We didn't walk the entire course, but he did explain several of the more difficult elements. He was, as usual, very funny, down to earth and I did learn quite a bit. However the man is a cheetah and you better be in shape to keep up with him on foot. I was very thankful I put in my Dr. Scholls inserts into my boots. haha.
I did a very quick run through of the shopping and wasn't impressed. Slim pickings and also very overpriced. I doubt I'll get my double bridle here. I may get a hat as that may actually be within my budget. Perhaps a pair of breeches if there is a good sale tomorrow. One can hope.
Cross country tomorrow. Tailgating. Beer. Bloody marys.
Better photos to come!

I'm so jealous you live near Rolex. I'm hoping to plan a trip for 2015. I watched William Fox-Pitt on youtube and his ride was beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAwwww how cool to get to follow Peter on his walk!!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun and make sure to take lots of pics for us folks that can't go! :)
Jealousy! :-)
ReplyDeleteI actually looked @ the booth fees and it's $1,500 for the smallest booth if you get the "early bird" pricing, plus of course the vendors have lots of travel costs, etc., so after looking @ that I definitely wouldn't be expecting a ton of "deals."
With any luck, I will get to Rolex one of these years--I've never been and am d.y.i.n.g. to go!
Have fun tomorrow!
Lucky you! (also jealous... very jealous)
ReplyDeleteBummer about the shopping but following Peter around. Bloody marys sound good. ;D
Looking forward to today's report.
Jealous and I wish I did more tailgating!
ReplyDeleteFun that you did a course walk. Sorry you didn't find anything whilst shopping. Some of the retailers had really god sales on breeches depending on what you like and what size you wear. Smartpak is selling all of theirs at 15% off and you get a free canvas tote... Jus sayin! :)
ReplyDeleteLoved watching Peter's cross country ride today!
ReplyDeleteHope you found some deals shopping!
ReplyDeleteCan not wait to go next year :) I was glued to my computer monitor all day Friday!