| 100% totally unrelated jumping photo of Hamps. (thanks SprinklerBandit!) |
This morning (before I got to the barn), another horse on the farm died (not sure how, possibly euthanized). He was lying on a hill so I didn't see him until I was leading Hampton from his field back to the barn to tack up. In fact Hampton noticed the body first. I felt him suddenly stop at the end of the lead and begin his - now trademarked - "raptor snorting." I thought he was spooking at the free-range chickens at first but then I looked down the hill and saw the body.
It's interesting to me how horses react to a dead body. I have had them not react at all, and some get really perturbed - like Hampton did. Some of them want to sniff the body, others want to get the hell out of dodge. Hampton has never seen a fellow equine lying dead as a doorknob before - at least since I have had him.
I crosstied Hamps in the barn but from that position he could still see the dead horse on the hill. More raptor snorting and dancing in the crossties. I finally closed the barn door to block his view and he settled down.
He was actually fantastic to ride. We could not see the dead horse from the arena at all.
When I heard a loud rattle coming up the drive way - I knew what it was. The Grim Reaper truck. The stench of death fills the air and I let Hampton have a walk break because I knew what would happen next.
As they hoisted the body into the truck - the horses in the paddocks (who could see this happen) began running and screaming around their fields. Thankfully Hampton did not react to any of this. I watched with interest and wondered if those horses knew what was going on? As soon as they truck left the property - everyone went back to grazing.
I don't know who that horse was - he didn't look familiar to me but I didn't get a close-up look. I hope he went peacefully.
***
In less morbid news - I am going back to Indiana for a lesson at FHF tomorrow. Not taking Hampton, but it will be good for me to ride a different horse or two. Saturday we are going to a small dressage show. And the best news of all is starting tomorrow I am on 6 days of VACATION. !!!!
Enjoy the lessons and your vacation!!
ReplyDeleteUm... I like your completely unrelated jumping picture.
ReplyDeleteIt must be the week for finding dead bodies with our horses. Poor Hamps. I've been lucky enough to never witness the truck in action *shudder*
ReplyDeleteI too always wonder what horses think in those situations.
ReplyDeleteYay on vacation and lesson.
yikes... that is not something i would like to walk up on :-/
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great lesson and vacation!!!
Back home again...Yeah for a lesson and a show! Vacation time to top it off :)
ReplyDeleteWhen we had Hennessy put down last year, I debated letting Riva and Cheers see him before he was buried. In the end, we did not. Cheers and Henny were pasture buddies and Cheers was noticeably quiet for a fews days after.
Ugh...that's the worst part of being a horse owner.
ReplyDeleteHave a good lesson.
The horses always know....
I would totally not be impressed if I went to get my horse out of the field and came upon a dead horse laying there. No heads up from the BO or manager? Not cool.
ReplyDeleteMy old barn manager forget to tell her friend who was hauling in about a dead horse under a tarp. She couldn't figure out why her horse was going nuts over that tarp. Ooops.
ReplyDeleteHorses seem to know somethinghas happened. Mr Ed didn't graze on the spot my mare died for the ten years he lived after her death. It was like a memorial stone of tall grass. The new horses grazed it right down.
Sad about the horse. I hope you are enjoying your vacation!
ReplyDelete