Sampson was purchased at an auction and no one really knew anything about him. L left him with me for about 4 months or so. I started him as if he knew nothing, but I am pretty sure he was a driving horse at some point.
Cantering was almost frightening to him, but eventually he got it. When I got him, he did not know how to lunge but he DID know how to steer. He is a sensitive, nervous type, but very kind. He has an adorable trot (very smooth to sit!) and I'm sure his canter is getting better as he learns to balance himself.
I really enjoyed having him as a "stepchild."
![]() |
| Hamper and Sampson |
![]() |
| Learning about sidereins. He knew nothing about softness or yielding to the bit at first. He was a quick learner, though. |



Looks like he was born to be a star!
ReplyDeleteHe sure is handsome!!
ReplyDeleteI had a half draft for about a year, and just love them. If I have money for a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th!) one day I think I'd want it to be a rescued draftie. He's gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLooks great in that photo! A natural model.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful boy!!!
ReplyDelete