Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Underwater basketweaving

One of the great things about living in Kentucky is that we now have access to some seriously swanky horse farms. Take, for instance, one of the top TB rehab farms in the area (they rehabbed this year's Kentucky Derby favorite) ... has an Aquatread. And they just so happen to allow haul-ins to use it!!



It's $35 to haul in for a session so I made an appointment on Monday to haul Hamper over there. He has never seen an Aquatread before, but I imagine he will react to it in typical Hampton fashion.

"Human, what is this?"
"It's an underwater treadmill, Hamper. You need to walk on it for a while."
"Seriously?"
"Yes."
"Hmmm, let me ponder this dilemma."
"Here's a treat Hampton"
"OK!!! I'll do whatever you want!"

What are the advantages of Aquatreads?

  • Properly controlled exercise in the treadmill adds significant tone and conditioning to the back and stifle muscles. (Hmmm, know any big bay geldings with sore back and stifles? ....)
  • Promotes bone density and encourage muscle development, while minimizing injury.
  •  The water takes 40 to 60 percent of the horse’s body weight off the horse's legs.
  • A safe, controlled environment
I am curious to how Hampton will feel under saddle a day ot two after this session. Will report back with details. :)

8 comments:

  1. So lucky! I would love to have access to one of those! I am interested to see how it goes with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool and afordable. Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is cool! Take a video if you can, I'd love to see Hampers working out. ;)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. OoooOOOOOoooooooh!!

    Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Can't wait to hear all about Hampton's experience.

    My husband's job might offer him the chance to relocate to the Georgetown area next year...finger's crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!! Definitely jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO COOL!!! I can't wait to hear how the visit goes! Get lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!