Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Motorin'

Here's a photo of us playing with half steps/piaffe in hand.



He has moments where he really gets it! But I don't do this more than once a week. It's good for him to learn now, but I don't feel a need to drill it. I want to keep it playful and non-stressful.

One of the ding-bat OTTBs was running around a paddock last night next to the arena - snorting and flagging his tail. Hampton decided that he may like to light up and act like an idiot, too! This resulted in a "conversation" and oddly ... after I clobbered him and gave him a stern growl, he turned into Mr. Super Dressage Horse. Easy off the leg, round, good contact. Made the half pass easy. There was some mild tension but ... I like that horse better than half asleep Hampton sometimes. That is the nice thing about Hamps, it's fairly easy to channel that extra energy into something good.

**Edited to add: I don't think ALL OTTBs are "dingbats." :) It was this one in particular who was acting such. I love OTTBs and know plenty of good eggs. Didn't want any readers to think I was racist against OTTBs. That is all.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, my TB is not a dingbat! Cute pic though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hampers is such a good boy. Those dang OTTB's they have enough energy that is rubs off on the horses around them. That is great that it gave him a little pep in his step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun when they're just a little up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ipressive :D He looks fabulous!!

    Last winter I worked with my horse on this and he never looked that good. Maybe its because he a ding-bat OTTB :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to see/hear more of how you get him to do this! He looks like he's building a great motor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hamps looks so fancy! KY must agree with him...maybe it's the bluegrass :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey my horse is a QH/TB cross and can be a real dingbat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!