| Hacking in the back field (that shed is where I tack up and keep my supplies) |
Hamps has been going so, so nicely lately. The weather has cooled off (for now), his rain rot/skin funk is clearing up nicely. His back is no longer sore and he's just been a dream to ride.
- Canter. Proceed across short diaganol, counter canter the short side and half of long side. Trot. Stretchy circle. (Helps with collection/compression, then a release to make the back swing)
- Leg yield all the way across the arena
- Shoulder in down the long side, switching to haunches in at B/E.
- Walk, canter, walk. Increase the jump, keep the balance in the downward transitions.
- Half pass. Half pass left is pretty good for having just started it. Half pass right can still get a little stuck sometimes. Refresh by trotting forward and trying again.
- Half steps. Have to be careful not to play with this too much as sometimes Hamps wants to jig, which I don't really want to discourage either.
- Trot. Halt. Back. Trot.
- Zig zag leg yields.
- Leg yield head to the wall.
- Slowing the tempo. One of the things Alex Gerding told me was that I tend to over-ride the trot. By slowing down and releasing the neck and back, I'm much more likly to get him swinging when I ask for a bit more forward.
This weekend a friend of mine from college asked me to come judge dressage at her farm's little schooling show. I am really pumped!!! I will be judging mostly intro and training level tests but I believe they offer up to Novice eventing tests. Mostly I am excited to see my friend who is really one of the coolest people I know. I am a little nervous to be judging ... I hope no one gets mad at their scores and throws vegetables at me or something. I know I have really appreciated those judges who were kind in their comments and I intend to do the same this weekend. Who knows, maybe I'll love the experience and enroll in the "L" program for dressage. :)
After I get back from judging, there is a little shindig at the Lville zoo in which you get unlimited amounts of beer (for a pricey ticket, however). I can't see how this can go wrong. Beer + friends = taunting the animals? Nope, can't see anything going wrong there. :)
Judging should be fun! I've always wondered what it's like to sit in the box and control the destiny of the peons sweating it out in the sand. ;-)
ReplyDelete