Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Prickly pickle

First: Even a $1600 bill to fix my truck - and by that I mean just to make it safe to drive - could not ruin my excitement and good mood this week. It's not 100% official yet, so I am not going to let the cat out of the bag, but my job hunt is very likely over. And wait until you here what it is. :)


Nope, not telling yet!


My instructor enjoyed her ride on Hamps today. She is the first person - other than myself - to actually get on and ride him. I've had a couple of friends sit on him and putz around, but she is the first to ask him to work. We ride very much alike so I thought it would be good for him. I think it's important for different people to ride a young horse so the horse learns to be tolerant. My instructor is an amazing rider but everyone has different timing, different weight aids, different ways of asking for things. He needs to recognize that and accept it.

She rattled his cage a bit. He tested her. He even threw in one of his famous canter transition bucks (a rather good one, I might add). He used to do this to be frequently as a 3 year old. Once bucking and kicking out so hard he knocked a dressage letter off the wall.

J was very complimentary of him and his training. He's really well trained, yet still has the attention span of a 4 year old sometimes. She called him a "prickly pickle" in that he can be sassy and opinionated (but not dangerous or mean) at times. He also has an awesome sense of humor that you can't really appreciate unless you ride him. She had some trouble picking up the right lead canter but I think it was a matter of communication there. I found it a real treat to watch her ride him. He still looks very much like a baby but we're making progress.

His trot lengthening across the diagonal were fan-freaking-tastic. Boy has he discovered a new gear! There is a big moving, fancy horse in there and it's slowing coming out.

He is gaining weight and still shedding but looking really great at the moment. He also has a lot more energy than he used to, now that he is getting calories he can spare.

The April horse show and clinics may have to be put on hold for this job situation ... that's yet to be determined. I should know more on Monday.

Thank you everyone for thinking of me (and Hamps).

Good things are happening. :)

5 comments:

  1. Of course you would torcher me with not telling about you job I have been so concerned about. Then you nonchalantly throw out there you may not be showing with me :( Phooey. Though I am glad you got to see someone else ride Hampton. I would love to see someone who actualy knew how to ride, ride Steady too. But still phooey on this post ;) Ok really I am very happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the new job news! You sound excited :)

    I am spoiled that I get to see Riva ridden frequently by my talented daughter - being a greenie I could never do this without her help.

    Hope you make it to the April show - would love watching you and Hampton go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for job news!!!

    Hampton looks great (loving the pictures from you last post!). Always good to get other people on the babies, especially the trainers, mostly so they know what you're up against ;)

    Will be waiting to hear more news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for an upbeat update! I missed hearing happy Karen.

    It is so fun to watch other people ride our (fancy) horses. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!