Friday, March 30, 2012

Jump around!

One of the other boarders had left a little course of jumps up in the outdoor. So I took advantage, threw on our jumping tack and decided to see what would happen. We have not jumped since our lesson with LAZ ... which was, uh, December?

Hampton was ... amazing.

Energetic, forward, happy. I pointed him at the jumps, he took me there. I kept leg on at the base, put my hands forward and rode forward after the jump. It was so effortless and FUN!!

I even raised the jumps to a whopping 2'3" or so. I had zero nerves, and thus Hampton popped over like he's been doing this for years.

Yes - we jumped this!! 

I wanted to keep jumping but rewarded him by cutting the session to about 30 minutes since he was being so wonderfully perfect.

I'm seriously considering going Beginner Novice this summer. (!!!)

Back to dressage land tomorrow. We have a lesson so that means hard work for the both of us.

Meanwhile, Hamps is starting to look like a sporthorse again and not a malnourished yak. I don't know if it's just me, but I think he is going through a growth spurt. His butt is MASSIVE. Like, it's not in proportion to the rest of his body. Yeah, obviously we work to strengthen the hind end but come on people, I'm not THAT good. I think he's growing.

He has gained at least 50 pounds since moving. (And lost a lot of fur) He still has more to go (his hip bones still stick out a little), but he's out on grass now and I have no doubt he will plump up very quickly.

Look at this booty!!

March 30, 2012. 

5 comments:

  1. w00t for jumping and having fun! I'm excited for you guys (and still waiting on your uber secret news).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job on the jumping!!! He is looking good too! Once Steady started to put on weight I REALLY noticed it in his butt. I am so happy you guys are at a place were he is flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he really enjoys the jumping and is good at it. Great that you're both having fun. He looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for the jump!!! :)
    And Hampton is looking more handsome each season! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!