Friday, March 9, 2012

In which sheath cleaning makes me smile

Today was "Spring Violation Day" at the farm. All of the horses got their spring shots, Coggins pulled, teeth checks and floated if needed, and fecals pulled.

Awaiting breakfast

Hamps ended up having some pretty sharp points - especially toward the back of his mouth. In fact, an ulcer was forming on the right side. It wasn't open or bleeding, but it was there. Poor guy takes after me in that he is not a fan of dental work. They had to give him additional sedation because he just kept squirming and fussing. I can not blame him one bit.

Hampton ... WASTED.

While he was still drunk I decided to clean his sheath. Normally, I just snap on some latex gloves and use water-based lube. (I wish there were cute guys at this barn ... who wouldn't love a girl walking around in latex gloves with KY jelly?!) But someone had left a bottle of Excalibur at the barn and so I decided to try that.

Something about the smell of the Excalibur + the stench of his sheath was just so disgusting I started to gag.

I have watched dozens of foals born ... horses with massive bleeding ... gross wounds ... melanomas ... you name it. I can stomach it all. But for some reason, not this.

Smiling suppresses the gag reflex (learned that tidbit from CSI, thanks).

Imagine if you will, me wrist-deep in my horse's crotch ... smiling away.

6 comments:

  1. hAHAHAHA !! That will teach you to take advantage of a Drunk Horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, quite the image! Glad to hear that TV isn't full of crap and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lord, lol.... tis the season I guess... I just did this to one of my geldings(I ran out of ky, lol, or both would have been done.)

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That my friend, is why I have a mare:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was perfect. I do the exact same thing. The aweful smell wincing grimace of a smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!