Tuesday, March 6, 2012

First impressions

Our move was non-eventful and smooth, as I expected it would be. Hampton thinks we are at a horse show where there is turn out.

I literally unloaded him off the trailer and put him straight into the Big Boys field with his new friends. (Nope, I don't baby him).

Summer 2011


There was some passaging around, snorting, tail-flagging ... but no kicking or screaming. The boys settled down in about 3 minutes and continued their busy day of grazing. This morning Hamps seemed settled - he wolfed down his food and other than some ... ahem .. "soft serve" poo piles, he seemed calm and OK with his new environment.

Today, it became apparent to me that Hampton is certainly not at the bottom of the pecking order in that field (5 geldings). When I went to go get another horse from that field (for a vet appointment), Hampton was not happy about that and proceeded to pin his ears and try to chase this other horse away from me. Sheesh. When I finally got to the gate and left, Hamps turned around - bucked and cantered off in a fit of jealousy. haha.

In the meantime, that horse's owner/foster mom (he's a OTTB from a rescue), was walking out of the barn just when I said "Come on, you dumbass!" to her horse, who was refusing to walk across a very mild patch of mud right in front of the gate. I needed him to get moving because Hampton was literally breathing down my neck and I didn't want there to be a fight.

Did I mention that woman had her 5 year old daughter with her?

Yeah. Way to make a good first impression. Oh Hi I'm the girl that called your precious OTTB a dumbass.

She is actually a very nice lady and didn't seem offended or put off by my language. Maybe she didn't hear that?

Spring 2011


When Hamps moved in, he moved into a stall that is about 8 inches larger than the other stalls because of the way the boards were put together. Well, another boarder's 14.2 mare was kicked out of that stall and moved into a normal one to accommodate Hampton.

This lady was PISSED.

I was not there, but the barn manager said she was slamming and throwing things ... then outright refused to speak to anyone. This morning I found a snarky note on the dry erase board: "Remove the salt block holder from stall 12 and return it to me" ... and I honestly tried to unscrew the damn thing but couldn't. This lady also gave me the cold shoulder all morning.

Oh, did I mention this is a lady in her 60s with a tenure at the local university?

The barn manager said she has gotten angry before when her horse has had to move. And also, this is a boarding barn. The stall your horse is in is NOT your personal property. The horse's health comes first and the manager and I both felt Hampton should be in the bigger stall.

I am just going to lie low with this lady until she cools off. The manager is on my side so I will just let her handle the crazy lady.

SPEAKING of crazy ... the old BO from the old barn apparently was ticked off at my instructor for "stealing her business." My instructor is the one who tipped me off about this new barn and the job. I thought it was so inappropriate for the old BO to approach her and blame her for the fact that the (old) barn lost business due to my moving. It was 100% my choice to 1) take the job and 2) move my horse.

Barn drama!!!!!!!!

But in all honesty, I really love this (new) barn so far. The boarders (except Cold Shoulder Susie) have been super friendly and welcoming. And I love working in the mornings. It's ever better now that Hamps lives there. Can't beat seeing his furry, adorable face at 7 a.m. :)

I promise photos soon!

7 comments:

  1. sounds a lot like those "barn biddies" they are talking about on COTH lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good lord! Horses get moved around in stalls all the time in my barn. Horses don't like particular neighbors, or they get too attached to neighbors. I can't imagine getting in a tizzy over. Grow up lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuck - barn drama! Glad Hampton settled so quickly and all is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie sounds like a real joy--we have one of those, too. Favorite game is to smile and be exaggeratedly nice every time we see her.

    Then it's totally awkward that she's a bitch, plus way funny over drinks later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your horse is settling in. I guess some people don't share the perspective of others. The bigger horse gets the bigger stall, I think most people would understand that?! Also, it was nice of your trainer to tell you about the job and barn. Just shows that your trainer is supportive of your riding goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loathe barn drama.
    I have issues with snark like that in the barn, as it happens daily at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I freakin hate barn drama and all the cold shoulder susie losers that come with it, lol! So funny about the "Dumbass" comment and if I were the OTTB owner I would have laughed. Glad the move went well and things seem like they will work out great, and Hamps is happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!