Friday, December 16, 2011

Now you see why I ride dressage

About to puke? Or overthinking a Training Level test?

My last post was a prime example of why I ride dressage and enjoy it so much!

I overanalyze EVERYTHING.

I think way too damn much.

It actually is so bad that I self-sabotage some situations.

I want a plan and goals. I like directions. I don't like feeling "lost" or "uncertain." Change stresses me out.

I went to the chiro yesterday (yay! Finally got an appointment for myself, not just Hampton) and she felt my neck and said, "So, um, you have really tense muscles. Let me guess. You hold it together. You hold everything that stresses you out - inside."

Gosh lady it took a medical degree to figure that out?

Anyway my neck was significantly out of whack. So was my back. And ears. I've been getting really dizzy recently and simply by yanking the hell outta my ears, she seems to have fixed it. Did you know that there is a saddle joint in your ear? Well, there is. There's a stirrup in there, too.

Does anyone else have this problem? Not the ear problem, but the overanalyzing everything issue?

How does one fix it?!?!

3 comments:

  1. I over analyze everything, it has served me well in the work world, especially when I was working in Emergency Preparedness - you can't over think that too much.
    It is my biggest obstacle in riding. I think it has made a better instructor out of me because I know WHY I want a student to do something in a particular way. It is a HUGE detriment to my own riding and gets in the way of feeling instead of thinking. Assorted coaches have suggested a good stiff drink, which I have never tried. :-) I have tried riding to music on my iPod, matched to the cadence of the horse's gaits and that works well for me, it lets me get connected to the physical movement and rhythm and enjoy the power of the horse's movement.
    Sorry, that was really long, maybe I should blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahahaha - you are not alone. I think everything to death and then stomp on it for good measure. My neck and shoulders get so tight that there is literally heat emanating out of them. I think that is the combustion of brain cells leaking out from my skull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely part of the over-thinking club. I think many dressage riders are -- it's part of the attraction; there is so much to think about. My biggest challenge is turning off the brain and learning to trust feel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!