Hampton was smokin' this afternoon.
He felt 100% better from yesterday. It was just an off day. He is certainly allowed. :)
I did still stick to my plan of only walk/trot even though he started off feeling amazing. We worked on trot -almost walk-trot transitions, leg yields (super!), shoulder-in (sweet baby jesus!), lenthenings (bam!) and some haunches in (improving!). I was so proud of him. He felt like a legit second level horse the way he was trotting around. I almost squealed with delight ... but there were people around and so I kept a lid on it. I'm pretty sure we have said goodbye to Training Level tests.
I'll test the canter tomorrow and see where we're at.
I have a feeling that Hamps needs his teeth done. He's really been hanging on the right rein lately. I realize this could totally be me, but I've also noticed him dramatically moving his jaw from side to side sometimes when he's eating. You know how when you get something stuck in your teeth and you sort of move your tongue and jaw around to dislodge the offending food? I've seen him do this frequently.
The problem is that due to some barn drama, the previous vet has been banned from the barn. That vet is the one who brings in this fantastic dentist twice a year. Well, I missed Super Dentist for the fall. Banned Vet called the BO and offered the services, but BO said no one here needed it. (I wish she would have ASKED ME) ... So 1) It is partially my fault for missing Super Dentist's visit because I should have been more in charge of Hampton's care instead of relying on the BO who has in the past scheduled dentist visits for boarders ... and 2) Super Dentist won't be back until spring. Meh. I'll also have to take Hampton off the farm to see Super Dentist.
So that has turned into a clusterf*ck. I could always have the vet take a look, but Super dentist is fantastic .. the best I've ever seen and has done such a good job with Hamps thus far.
I guess I'll keep an eye on things. Hopefully he can wait until spring.
... lastly, remember to hug your horses. Catherine Haddad lost her Grand Prix horse, Cadillac. That's two great horses gone this week. So sad. :(

Such a wonderful feeling when it all just clicks doesn't it!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't wait on dental work. It can cause so many issues, including weight loss, evading, behavior, etc. I know I'm not telling you anything, just a gentle reminder.
~Jeni