Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A different league

It's probably clear that I have an unhealthy, stalker-like obsession innocent school girl crush on Boyd Martin.

Imagine my delight when he announced he is in need of a working student - in Aiken!

I could quit my job. Move to Aiken. Bring Hampton. Ride everyday! Stare at Boyd ... learn from Boyd and his crew. Work with great horses. Improve my riding. Get out of Indiana! Start a new life. Steal Boyd from his gorgeous wife. You get the drift.

BUT.

Cost of bringing Hampton would be $35 a day. So, only about $1,050 a month. *FACEDESK*

Oh but there is shared housing, at a cost.

Doesn't sound like the position is paid in any way except for education.

And with the long hours, how the hell is someone supposed to pay for life's expenses? There is no time for a part time job. And let's be real, my current FULL TIME job would barely cover Hampton's expenses alone.

Education is priceless to me, I get it. But there is still REAL LIFE to consider. What kind of person would really be able to accept this position? ... a student who has parents who will pay? Someone with a large trust fund? Even without a horse, how does one earn money to eat?

This is just my bitchfest at working student positions (some of them). They are impossible for me because while I'm willing to work my ass off, I have to be able to still buy a toothbrush every once in a while. You know?

It basically comes down to the fact that this sort of thing is just simply out of my league. *shrug*

Rant over.

14 comments:

  1. I checked it out too and thought the same thing.

    I was speaking with a few other riders who all charged board. This is just ridiculous. ONLY the rich, elite, kids, young adults with rich parents are going to be able to do this. They really can't offer free board or free housing? Really? Find that hard to beleive...such a shame.

    When I worked in Scotland a few years ago, I got 2 leassons a week, an apartment, a car, and 250 pounds weekly. Also all my showing costs covered, food, EVERYTHING. The Brits know how to treat their horse help, in North America it's practically slave labour.

    You're going to work 7 days a week AND I'm going to pay you board?? NO THANKS.

    hear hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is on her second working student position and is well taken care of - nice place to live, multiple lessons a day on various horses, pay (not a lot, but she is only 17), clinics paid for, shows paid for including traveling to Florida for 6 weeks this Winter...so don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that brings back memories.... I was a working student many, many years ago. Same deal: no pay, no stall, just housing and an education. I didn't have a horse at the time, so a stall didn't matter. I earned extra money by clipping and braiding for the clients. When I could, I would pick up rides at other barns exercising horses or riding sale horses.

    Most of the time I ate one meal a day. Sometimes the head trainer would buy me lunch, so I'd get two meals those days! Christmas time was good, too, because the clients would bring me gift baskets and sometimes even gift cards to the local convenience store. I was so skinny back then! But, man, was I happy!

    You're right, though... "working student" is a kid's game. I could never do it now. And, honestly, I don't think I'd want to. The knowledge and wisdom I gained as a working student has made me too smart to take such a position again! It was totally worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute! My reading comprehension is sub par today. He's not even giving them an apartment in the barn? What a tool!

    The only possible thing I can think of is that maybe he's trying to weed out the kids who don't really want it? I know I've had to deal with some pretty terrible working students: didn't want to do the work, just needed a place to crash and had delusions of riding the upper level horses without ever earning it. I can see where it would sour you quick on working students. But still, I've never heard of not offering at least an apartment for full time work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Kids whose parents will pay." Exactly. I'm sort of appalled they even call them positions. It's more like a very expensive camp where there is no time to eat.

    Hell, for $1000 a month in board, I could put my horse in full training, take lessons whenever I want and skip the stall cleaning part. I'm pretty sure there are many roads to horsemanship and none of them have a requirement for you to pay more than my mortgage for the "privilege" of being a slave. I know how to work and I work hard, but I also know what fair compensation is.

    Maybe I should try this next year when I need a technician -- get them to pay ME so they can carry my heavy stuff and do my grunt work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry I don't care if you are THE BOYD MARTIN this just pisses me off. And by piss me off I mean raise my blood pressure and go write a nasty comment on his blog piss me off. Maybe not the most mature option but I just cannot help myself. Did I mention this pisses me off?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here I thought you were going to say you got the job and were headed out. Bummer. Those would have been awesome blogs (you know, in all your free time).

    That is a crappy deal. I work half time for a trainer--I get paid plus two lessons a week and I get to ride other horses. Housing isn't included or desired, since I live in town and actually like my husband. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's crazy! I could never afford that, though I would love, love, love to be a working student for a top trainer. I just can't get over the whole "slave away and still have to pay megabucks for the experience" though come to think of it, that sounds a whole lot like college! ;) I have the feeling that he is going to get very few applicants for that position...

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGH, this is SO one of my pet peeves!!!!! If you are not already at the top of a sport, and if you want to be in horses you better be ready to accept crap wages (or no wage at all) for the privilege of scooping poop. Yes, the educational aspect is frigging amazing, but come ON. Who can live like that? I'm guessing only someone who has mom and dad financing them as well. And hey, good for them...still, that leaves out a whole lot of people. I would love to break into the horse industry at some level, but it's virtually impossible if you have student loans, a mortgage, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, Amy, I loved your comments and had to leave one myself, lol. Honest to god, people are defending the "generosity" of such an offer! It sounds exactly like college, only you don't get a degree at the end...the experience is amazing, I'm sure, but call a spade a spade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does sound like college, except that those of us without trust funds or rich parents are still excluded as there are no government loans available. (or other financial aid) It's just a shame that a lot of hard working people will be excluded from this opportunity. bah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynical me.... I think the top riders who want to give back to the sport make it possible to be a working student.
    The ones who are building up a client base of wealthy prospective owners (parents or student) charge like this. It weeds out the people who work for a living and can never afford a top pro as a full time coach/rider.
    There ARE top barns that make it possible - not easy - but possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW...that is ridiculous! Boyd, you can do better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sarah though I am now ashamed that I put it the way I did. I think the point could have been made but in a kinder manner. It did pretty much infuriate me and so I should know not to post something on the world wide web when typed in such a state of mind. I have apologized for the way I said what I said. But Barbara I agree with what you said 100% there are those that do give back to the sport and I guess that is what I had hoped for someone in their position to offer. I was more caught off guard than anything by such an offer. But in reality he has the right to make his 'business' whatever he chooses and who I am to say anything about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!