Monday, November 7, 2011

No unplanned dismounts this time trail riding

First, I was stunned by the news of Hickstead's death yesterday.



He collapsed while leaving the show ring in Italy. Very sad. :( Here is his last round before he died.
The video of his death is on YouTube. It's pretty disturbing.


Now for some better news
Hampton has been smokin' lately in the dressage department.

The other day I stole a movement from Second Level. Shoulder in to B, then 10M circle, then travers when you get back to the rail. On the left rein, we nailed it. Travers is still a bit sticky on the right rein. I totally blame myself for this. I think it's because my left side is my weak side, so my left aids are not as supportive as they need to be. He also dislikes bending right which just adds to the issue. But we'll get there. I see the light.

I wish someone had been there to see our canter-walk transitions on Saturday. I didn't even use the fence this time for help. To be show ring ready, Hampton will need to be just a tad more round. But he's got the concept and I'm starting to nail the timing of the aids more consistently. Holla!

Sunday was such a pretty day and I wanted to reward Hampton with something different to do so I forced asked nicely if JJ and his human would like to make a trip to Tippy State Park for a trail ride. We were up there in the spring with Lilly the Walker and her human. I like the trails because most of it is sand and it makes for an easy ride.

Hampton was a little bit of a shithead. Because the trails are so easy, we decided to do some trotting and cantering. Hampton thought cantering behind JJ meant Wild Goose Chase and decided he would buck instead of canter nicely. I had to check him pretty hard in order to keep him between me and the ground. Sheesh. Bad poneh! Then he bit JJ in the face. He also managed to poop all over the back of my trailer during our ride up there. As if this wasn't enough, after we dropped JJ off at his house, Hamps managed to paw and tear up the bale of hay I had sitting at the front of the trailer. Half of it was underneath him when I went to unload. Great.

We must have rode for 3 hours. I thought for sure the beast would be tired but when I unloaded him he was rude and would not stand still for me to take his bellboots off. Then when I turned him back out and took off and tore like a bat outta hell back to the herd.

I'll cut him some slack though. It was a long day and he did for the most part behave just fine. We even found a few logs to jump. :)

I'm hoping I'll have the cash to have a lesson or two after I get paid next. A friend of mine just bought a OTTB and I think we might take semi-private lessons together which would really cut down on the costs.

Brilliant:


2 comments:

  1. You and your gelding. Silly things. ;-)

    HA! Word verification: paying. Yes, aren't we all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! That was just awful watching Hickstead die. :( He was such a great horse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!