Tuesday, November 1, 2011

More contests! (and grooming tips)

Hampton: April 2010


I love blogger world because of all the awesome people who give away free stuff. :)

One of those people is Laz's Mum over at Sweet Horse's Breath. She is giving away this awesome product:




I was a groom for several years for a top Morgan/Saddlebred show barn. Horses were clipped and groomed to an annoying level. But I did learn a lot. I'll be happy if I never have to sand and hoof-black another hoof in my life though.

But here are some grooming tips anyone can use, especially if you show.

• If you keep your horse's tail braided up, or if you horse just has a kinky tail, dip the tail in a bucket of water. Then slowly hand-pick the tail. This will get the kinks out. Spray with show sheen.

• When clipping ears, put your thumb in the ear and press softly. This helps soften the buzzing sensation for the horse.

• Clip white socks. I usually clip all 4 legs regardless of color up to the knee or hock, but it works especially well for white socks. A clipped sock is way easier to keep and make super white. At a show, scrub white socks with soap until you can see pink skin. Air dry. Apply baby powder. BOOM. White sock.

• Clean your horse's nostrils with a warm, wet towel. Many people forget to do the "other end" too. Wipe under the tail (warm, wet towel) and remove crustys (mares especially) and dirt. You'd be surprised how much more polished your horse will look.

... hmm maybe I'll do a grooming series this winter.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tips! I have two questions:

    1) "When clipping ears, put your thumb in the ear and press softly." - where exactly do you press? Surely not down, into the ear canal? Do you press to the side, against your own hand (through the ear)?

    2) What do you use to clip the socks? Do you just use normal, corded clippers or do you have little battery-powered ones just for that? If the latter, what kind?

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tips! I too, am obsessed with cleaning out the nose promptly followed by a smooch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please do a grooming series. I'd love it. I want to learn how to make my horse show groomed seeing we are going to do more shows this year coming. I'd also love to read how you keep your horses clean in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!