Friday, November 11, 2011

I'm such a jerk.



It has been months since Hampton's right hind has acted up. When I rode him this evening, he wasn't off, but he wasn't quite the same bouncy warmblood he has become this summer. He felt like he was pulling himself along with his front end instead of pushing from behind. He felt flat.

I blamed it on the terrible footing in the arena right now. It hasn't been worked in .. I dunno ... months. I would be happy to do it myself but women apparently aren't allowed to use the tractors/drag. I wish I was joking.

Anyway, our trot work was actually outstanding. Shoulder-in and leg yields were effortless and easily show ring quality. I was easily able to supple him and put his head and neck where I wanted.

His eggbeater canter however was back in full force. I could not get the rhythm back no matter what I did. My usual standbys (counter flexion, move the shoulders in) were not producing results. And he kept breaking back into the trot - repeatedly.

So that's why I feel like a total, utter, useless JERK for swatting him on the butt after he broke for the 5th or 6th time. I've been pouting about it most of the evening. I feel awful.

It finally occurred to me that his leg was probably bothering him. Thus the eggbeater canter and breaking of gait. UGH.  I thought he was being disobedient, when really he was just trying to tell me that he was uncomfortable and could we please trot now

I think tomorrow we will just do trot work and see where the canter is on Sunday. This issue really seems to show up when the weather gets cold. So maybe I'll put his magnetic hock boots on before we ride tomorrow. If anything, they'll warm up the joint.

He's such a good horse to put up with me.

3 comments:

  1. We've all been there - forgive yourself - he's already forgiven you. I was having terrible balking issues with Drifter, both on walk/trot and trot/canter transitions, and in his case it was the earliest stages of EPM which meant that he was worried about moving out as one hind leg wasn't working quite right. With him, he can be very bratty and prone to temper tantrums, but in this case it was an issue he wanted to tell me about - but it's very hard sometimes to tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe don't beat yourself up. We've all been there and it'd be incredibly easier if they spoke plain English! It'd also be easier if humans (in general no finger pointing) listened. Heck we often don't even listen to each other =/

    I hope he feels better with some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it into account then let it go. Learn from it but don't beat yourself up over it. You love him, he knows it. That is why he didn't promptly buck your butt off after you were not listening to him. He was giving you grace and you should give yourself some too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!