![]() |
| It was not warm at CAF in February. |
May: Another CAF show. Hampton was tense, wiggly and squirrly pretty much the entire time. Judge says I am a "tactful" rider after Hampton spooks at his own shadow and bucks during canter transitions. I do get an 8 for my rider score!! However, our test score was 61%. 3rd place. Next test does not go much better. 59%.
![]() |
| Obedient pony at May CAF show ... |
| Naughty little &%*^ !!! |
June: I drag Hampton to an area 4-H open show. The atmosphere is chaotic to say the least. Hampton does a lot of talking, but behaves. It was his first time in an arena with at least 20 other horses. Maybe 30% of them were in control. We enter a few walk-trot classes against the Wenglish 4-Hers. The next weekend our barn hosts an open show and we enter Hunter under saddle, hunter hack and halter. Looking back, these types of shows are so great to bring young horses to. (Cheap, close and plenty of insaneness to look at). Hampton is pretty much unflappable now.
| back to my Findlay hunter roots. |
July & August: Lessons & trail riding
September: CAF show and our first attempt at a combined test. I also take JJ, my favorite QH who is a reining horse but moonlights as a dressage poneh. Hampton scores a 65 (a personal record for me at the time), a 62 and we win both the CT and the event derby! JJ also has good scores for his first show and first dressage tests. Good boys!
![]() |
| I love Come Again Farm. |
October: Octoberfest at the Hoosier Horse Park. We blow our previous scores out of the water earning 2 scores of 67% and one 64 (I went off course ... ugh). We also win the combined test Green As Grass and make our debut in the jumper ring. Annnnnd it's our first time schooling cross country! Hampton is a super star the entire weekend. I bruise my butt out on cross country but otherwise I think I rode really well - especially in our dressage tests. Hampton meets Steady and they instantly form a Bromance.
![]() |
| Job well done Porkchop! |
I have not set any goals for 2012 yet. I think I will just listen to my horse. My goals for 2011 included competing in the USDF 4 year old tests. Frankly, only now do I feel that Hampton is ready to compete in those tests (pretty much 1st level). I could have pushed him earlier in the year to reach that goal of mine, but for what? So that I could say that I did it?
The horse is much happier if I let him develop at his own pace. I'm so thankful I have a happy, sound, healthy pony. I have always tried to be fair to him and I think he has rewarded me for those efforts. So for 2012 I plan to take it one show at a time. And frankly, I really want to focus more of my time and money on education (lessons, clinics, etc.) and perhaps not go to as many shows. But we'll see. My job situation will likely not be the same. I may even live somewhere else.
Yay for uncertainty in the near future! *nervous tick*




What a great show season!!! Bromance, LOVE IT!!! Ok I know you say you are going to take it as it comes next season but I would love to know at least a rough draft of what you hope to accomplish. My friend Susan that I xc schooled with at HHP and I are planning for a lesson day with Lee Ann in December or January you want to get in on it? We can do group lessons or back to back
ReplyDeleteGreat summary. You guys did really well, especially given that gorgeous Hampton is only four. I think you were smart not to push for an equivalent to first level tests. What a great season you've had.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a fabulous season and you both learned from your experiences :D
ReplyDeleteYou guys are like my heroes;) Not only did you have so much success, but Hampton is obviously happy, healthy and loves his job, and you guys have such a wonderful connection. Congratulations-can't wait to read about what 2012 brings you both:)
ReplyDeleteits awesome to hear you guys have accomplished so much! There's always bumps along the way, but Hampton is already leaps and bounds above almost any 4 year old I have ever known! I think you do a spectacular job with him and can't wait to see you cross more things off the big 'to do list' of 2012
ReplyDelete