![]() |
| Travers |
• Medium trot
• Collected trot
• Shoulder-in
• Rein back
• Counter canter
• Walk to canter; canter to walk
• Simple change of lead
• Medium canter
• Collected canter
• 10m circles
• Tavers and Ranvers
• Half turn on the haunches
J told me, "I want you to teach him Haunches-in at the trot. ... by November." ... So it's Oct. 31 now. I don't think I've failed at that goal, but the movement isn't confirmed by any stretch of the imagination. Hamps has been a willing study and we've made great progress this week. I started out only wanting him to move his haunches in. I didn't care if he was above the bit.
Now, he gets the haunches in thing but now he also needs to be round. It's still sort of a hot mess. We'll get there.
Up until recently, inside leg at the girth, little inside flexion + outside leg swings back = canter please horse! Poor Hampton, now those very same set of aids mean haunches in. And soon, they will mean half pass, too. It is up to me to really finesse my aids (especially my weight) as a rider since Hampton is acquiring more buttons.
We've also attempted some counter canter this week. I haven't done this in several months - I was really surprised at how much his balance has improved. Granted, I kept the counter canter to big, sweeping turns but still. In the spring he couldn't even do that without breaking. Canter/walk transitions have also been on our list and as long as I ride correctly, I can usually get a pretty decent transition down. Again, that movement is not show-ring ready or anything, but the building blocks are there.
Hampton has also improved from what I shall call the "flying leg yield." He finds this exercise obnoxious but it has done a great deal for improving his leg yields. Here's what you do to leg yield to the left (off your right leg):
• Come down the center line at the trot
• Open up your left rein
• Right leg "POW" ... you want to startle your horse into moving over
• "Catch" him with your left leg
Next time around, ask nicely. Now the pony moves over quietly and smoothly - crossover improves and so does obedience to the leg. Hampton isn't a fan of being startled by such a loud leg aid and we often end up "flying" across the ring in some sort of canter/trot/head tossing scamper. But I'm telling you, when I come around and ask nicely he is SO much better. :)
Sampson has also been doing well - learning his canter aids and how to turn off the outside aids. He is a good boy and I will miss him when he goes back home to his Mom.
Happy Halloween!


Oh boy you guys have some big goals, love it. I was thinking I'd be happy to have walk/canter transition, a decent leg yeild and shoulder-in...lol. I LOVE the description and photos, more please!! My little brains need very simple instructions and pictures. May I suggest you start a series on dressage movements and lingo. I was considering doing it over the winter by studying and then posting about it but I think it would be much more effective from someone way more educated in the sport of dressage. I know I can read books about it but I love the idea of words+pictures+video other media to explain it all. Just a suggestion because it does sound like an overwhelming task to take on. Anyways I loved this post, thanks.
ReplyDeletewow, level 2 looks really difficult. I don't think I could really ever get that far for a couple of years. But what a good stratgy, it would make level 1 seem easier.
ReplyDelete