So Saturday after we were done with our classes, I met up with my jumping instructor and she took us out for cross country schooling.
Eron: "So have you ever been out on a cross country course?"
Me: "Um, no. Neither one of us has."
Eron: "OH! Ok ...."
This isn't totally true ... I was on a cross country course at a camp when I was 15. But a group of us just sort of galloped and cantered around and over some jumps. It certainly was no formal introduction.
So we get out to the course and start with a little warm up and then popping over a small coop jump. Hamps went straight over - and after 2 or 3 times he started to enjoy himself and buck a little on the landing. I immediately stopped feeling guilty for working him so hard that day. If you have the energy to play and buck then we can go jump more jumps!
![]() |
| This is not a jump at the HHP, but it's the approximate height of similar jumps we did tackle. |
After the coop we moved on to a roll-top - very similar to the one at CAF. Again, we popped over with little issue. Then there was another coop.
Next up was a small cottage house. Hamps stopped at the first approach, and that was his one "freebie." After that, he was to be spanked (unless it was some total failure on my part). On second approach we popped over. Then we jumped the cottage, to the coop. I was actually brave enough to canter.
Next up was the water complex. There was already one rider there who was trying to get her horse to go in. He was having no part of it. He wouldn't even try going down the little slope. I walked Hampton down to the water's edge and in true Hampton fashion he lowered his head ... sniffed ... then began gulping down water. After he finished drinking, I gave him a squeeze and a cluck and we walked right in. :) Super good boy! Those trail rides paid off.
Eron said "Go ahead and trot him!" and so there we were, trotting circles in the water. I could not stop myself from grinning. We then trotted out the other side, and trotting back in. Weeee!
I guess we made it look easy because I was then instructed to trot around to the back side of the water, come through the water complex, up the slope and then jump the beginner novice log!! *GULP* As we trotted into the water, the sun was shining making the most beautiful reflection in the water ... Hampton's ears were pricked ... water splashing everywhere. I had my eyes on that log. I sat back, squeezed and clucked and over we went! Lots of pats and praise for that one! And just like that, I was ADDICTED. Hampton was not even phased by this onslaught of new questions.
So then we made out way over to the step up/down banks. At first glance, I thought no big deal we can do this. We trotted up - no problem. I turned to trot him back down. Um, and so the next thing I know I am practically laying down on his rump. I had gotten seriously left behind. I SO WISH I had this on video because there were some spectators that thought it was pretty hilarious. So did my instructor. She said Hampton did was he was supposed to, although he did sort of launch off the bank. I need to do a better job of sticking with him!
Good news is that because I had slipped my reins, I did not catch him in the mouth.
Bad news is that apparently my ass landed directly on the cantle of my saddle. I did not feel it at the time. Keep this in mind.
So up the bank we go again. I turn to come back down and Hampton is now really unsure. We make several attempts to get back down but he just isn't sure what to do. There is another option to get down, but it looks like a big drop to me. (It really isn't, it's just a little bit of an illusion from up there). After a little encouragement, we finally step down the second bank and I call it a success (I stayed with him the second time.) Despite my lack of skillz, Hampton is no worse for wear.
Amy's group is waiting for their turn on the banks. I watched Amy and Steady go up and down like they have been doing this forever! It was helpful to me to see someone else go down the bank tho - since I really have no clue what to do with my body. I hope Hampton was taking notes, too.
Eron said something to me that really hit home. She said that out on cross country, you have to be ok with the fact that things are going to be a little sticky/messy/"oh shit" sometimes. You have to accept it. I come from saddleseat, hunter and dressage land. Where to be good, you work on perfection. You don't accept "good enough." Out on cross country, there is a certain amount of control you have to give up. It takes bravery and some insanity. This will be my biggest mental block. I want each jump to be nice ... good distance, good form. I can't micromanage him so much out on cross country. Or things will go badly. He needs to do what he has to do to get over the jumps/down the banks and I have to be ok with the fact that I will just have to hang on sometimes!
Just to end a really confident note, we return to the water and trot through a few more times. The one girl is STILL trying to get her gelding to go in. He's rearing and spinning around. I tried to give her a lead, but the horse is having none of it.
Lots of pats for Hamps and we walk back to the barn.
Later on in the evening, I notice that my butt is hurting. Like the left buttcheek is really sore. Hmmm, well I did ride A LOT that day so of course I will be sore. I was sore all over actually but man when I sat down for dinner (oh Cracker Barrel - nom nom nom!) that wooden chair did not feel so good!
I brushed it off and went to bed.
In the morning, my butt HURTS. So I try to see if there is a bruise. Obviously, I wasn't going to stand in front of the mirror in the public bathroom checking out my ass. So I tried to see what I could just by turning around.
Yup, a bruise alright.
And Sunday when I got home and could make use of a mirror - I gasped in horror. My entire left butt cheek is black and blue. I mean it is a bruise to be proud of my friends. It is astonishing. If I could find a classy way to post a picture, I would.
So there you have it, my first cross country injury.
Worth it.
To be continued! Next up: Our debut in jumper land.


Hilarious.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had an overall good experience your first time out!
Good for you! I know from the daughter that you have to have guts & determination to be an eventer - of which you have loads :)
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine what the bruise is like! Ouch. But at least you have a good (and very funny) story to go with it. Glad you loved cross country, yay for eventing! What a star Hampton was :)
ReplyDeleteHahaha that picture looks very similar to you and Hamps coming off the bank the first time. Except you had the rodeo one arm up in the air move going on. BUT you stayed on and kept at it and THAT my friend is what an eventer does so I say you are pretty darn official now! And thanks for the compliment :) I wish I could have seen you guys rock the water and the log. I think our next lesson down there we should stagger then I can come along to watch/ photograph and you can do the same for me :). Next year!
ReplyDeleteThere is NO going back once you did your first water jump! Congrats to you and Hampton, yeehaw!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I have to say it....it's a "coop." Like a chicken coop, not a military takeover, LOL!
Doh!! Ooops! Man and I call myself a journalist. Gone through to edit "coup" to "coop" - thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteAh, I wish I could have made it out to the XC course. I went to wander down there "accidentally" on Friday afternoon after schooling the pony, but we found ourself at a shooting range instead... So we hand-galloped back to the barns instead.
ReplyDelete