Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hooked on a feeling

I was happy to find that Hampton was not lame on his right hind today and that minor swelling on his fetlock was pretty much gone. Whew. So, I rode.

A bit nervous and tense at the May show
He felt so ... trained today. So grown up. For the past few months, I have been finding moments of true connection with Hampton. But our rides have been mostly 30% "through" and 70% "still an unbalanced baby who ping-pongs in the contact." Today, he was only a bit wiggly during the warm up. After I booted him forward and did some leg yields, our ride because 60% "through, connected." Of course we still have moments when he comes above the bit a little, or loses the bend, or trips, or whatever. But I really noticed today how if you just make a little bit of progress every day, after 30 days look where you are. Some pretty significant changes!

When we "get it" ... it's truly amazing. I feel like I am carrying his mouth like I would carry a tray of roses. His stride becomes longer, and suddenly sitting the trot becomes effortless. I get the feeling he is carrying me, instead of me just flopping around in the saddle. Our shoulder-in and leg yields were smooth and light. So easy. Nothing is forced, braced or held. Even the canter - both leads - was excellent today!

We even got a couple of good lengthenings! Yay! I feel ready to tackle another dressage show after today. We'll probably aim for CAF in August at least. And hopefully I can find something else to go to. I think trail riding and goofing off at open horse shows has really done us both some good. :)

... and I'm trying to come up with some plans for us to begin jumping lessons, too. Otherwise, things are chugging along. Have a good week everyone!

soon to be us? :)

4 comments:

  1. Steady progress is wonderful!
    And I love the cartoon - too good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I wish I could say the same about Steady and I but it has not been our year as of yet. Would you by any chance want to come down to CAF any time Mon.-Thurs I will bring your saddle. I feel bad I have yet to get it back to you. Or I could meet you anywhere else that would be convenient for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love those rides :)

    Love the doodle at the end, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!