Monday, January 24, 2011

Blinded by the light .. I mean snow ...

I was so tickled to see that temps outside today were ABOVE 30!!! So I bundled up and jumped in my truck - out to the barn to saddle my mule ... horse and go for a ride. The snow was literally blinding today. I should have worn sunglasses!

My first attempt was the big arena - it has been the most reliable all winter as far as footing. Mostly because it is never plowed so the snow gets nicely packed down and is grippy. Well, as soon as I asked Hampton to step off from the mounting block he slips on a (well hidden) patch of ice. He didn't slip badly, but it startled him so much that he grunted. Then stood stock still. Um, ok well this isn't a good start. I promptly left that arena before we stumbled upon any more ice. I tried the small area ... no ice to be found but it has been plowed so it was that slick snow and I didn't trust it.

Sooooo I decided we would just power walk all over the property. We did a pretty good 20-25 minute power walk. I didn't worry too much about his head and neck - only that he was marching foward. He listened well and although a little bit distracted in that he wanted to be a tourist, he behaved himself. No spooking or anything like that. We even passed the back side of the donkey and mini pen of death where several saber-tooth donkeys and this ferocious creature live:
Hampton's worst nightmare. Get it. Night MARE?


Hampton was good though, only stopping and snorting a bit. :-) I finally found a lane out in the farm fields where the snow was up to his knees. muwahaha! Yes we power walked through that too. I hope I got his heart rate up a little, but I have no way of knowing. At least it was some sort of exercise ...

The BO and I are aiming for a Feb. 26 show at Come Again Farm. I have a feeling we may be winging it ...


3 comments:

  1. Ahhh such a cute mini horse! Omg!

    I'm happy you and Hampton had a nice ride =] Maybe I'll venture out into the elements this weekend for a power walk myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be 40 today and I could dance for joy. Love the night-mare photo. Great tail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what an adorable pony!

    How funny that you described him as a tourist, I use the same word when my gelding goes sightseeing around the countryside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!