Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sole, horse

Here's the good thing about snow. It keeps hooves squeaky clean!

Since it was 14 degrees out today, I didn't ride. Although it was sunny and once I was out at the barn I wished I had dressed to ride because it really didn't feel THAT bad. Oh well.

So on days I don't ride, I just bring Hampton in for his lunch and ... watch him eat. Sometimes I'll find something productive to do, like organize my tack ... or pester a fellow boarder. Today I decided to analyze Hampton's feet. I would at least look busy so I wouldn't get suckered into petting a barn cat.

Anyway, which brings me to this photo:


This is his right front paw. Because his feet are usually dirty, I mostly just pick them out and move on. But the snow has cleaned them up so well that I have just now noticed these bruises! Gah! He's sound, but is this normal? There are a few on his back feet, and none on his left front that I can see at this point. This foot is for sure the worst. 

I've pondered shoes for the beast. If that happens, it will wait until spring. I tried to Google "hoof bruise" but most of the results were of people who had an unfortunate altercation with a hoof and were sporting some really gnarly bruises. ew.

It really needs to warm up so I can get back to riding and not overanalyzing!

4 comments:

  1. They may just be normal discolorations/pigmentation of the sole - unless he's sore or unsound, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like he's got pretty nice feet - he may never need shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time bruising reaches the sole, it's old 'scar' tissue. If he's not tender on it, he's probably just growing out old damage. As Kate said, it could also just be normal discoloration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience, bruises are a reddish color and very sore. I wouldn't worry about them if he isn't sore. Like Kate said, they may just be the normal color of his sole -- which you normally don't see since they're usually dirty. That's a picture of squeaky clean foot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laz has some of the same bruises too...my Barefoot trimmer mentioned the same, it's old so shouldn't be sore anymore. Key is watch your horse for pain but usually comes before we see the bruise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!