In two years my current truck will finally be paid off. I have a Chevy Colorado and it has been my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned (it's car #3 for me). But let's face it, it can't pull a standard 2 horse trailer. But that's fine because as I have been researching trailers, I have pretty much decided that when that time comes - it will be a Benderup. Ok yes they sort of look like Chinese take out boxes, but other than that - I think they are genius. And my Colorado can pull one. In two years, I should be able to afford payments on a trailer. Hampton will be 5 (LOL! STILL just a baby!) and I will be wanting to attend some USDF shows with him at that point. I have been hitching rides from people and paying out the ass for hauling fees ever since I became a horse owner. I really would like that to stop. I would really like to be able to haul my horse for area clinics, one day shows, even multi-day rated shows and not have to beg, plead and drain my bank account to do so. Horse showing is expensive enough as it is. Anyway, so that is my goal in two years - my very own trailer! Eventually I will get a larger truck (just because I will feel safer), but the Colorado will do until I get the trailer paid off. (Hopefully). There aren't any hills in Indiana, and I won't be traveling anywhere with trecherous conditions on my own. What else do I like about the Benderups? The model I have been eyeing is the Royal 2 horse - big enough to fit 2 horses who are up to 17.2 hands. I am sort of banking on Hampton topping out at 17 hands, which would give him plenty of clearance.
• It's easy hitching, unhitching, basic handling. I'm pretty much a small woman, although crafty, but I do know my limits.
• Minimal noise, sway, heat-build up means a comfy ride for the horse
• I like a fiberglass roof - which offers a little "give" just in case the horse bumps his head.
• The tongue weight for the Royal is 150lbs ... my Colorado can handle 400lbs of tongue weight. Score.
• I love the open and airy interior of the Royal. It has a small, but cute tackroom which I am perfectly fine with because the majority of my hauling will be to small shows or events. So I won't need to pack a ton of crap (LOL ... ok who am I kidding). The bed of my truck will have to carry what the tackroom can't.
• They seem to really hold their value in the U.S. On the down side, a used one is really hard to find. People seem to keep them, and when they do sell used - they are almost as much as they are new.
So there it is. I need to seriously pay down some credit cards and medical bills the next two years, so that I am in good financial shape to purchase a trailer. Moving into the new house will help me do that.
As far as Hampton, he is doing extraordinary. Had his teeth checked yesterday and they were still in good shape. I just wanted to make sure he is comfy, seeing as how he is being asked to accept a lot more contact recently, and he's still "rangey" thin. The answer is clearly more calories since he is up to date on worming, teeth, etc. Poor guy just needs more food! Training is going well. I've been keeping him on a 3-4 day a week schedule. Two days of work (one of those a lesson), one day of light work and then a trail ride. And if I feel a fourth day is needed, it's a lunge session. I feel like for a 3 year old, that's a good schedule. He is happy and greets me everyday in the field. He just needs to gain 75 pounds and we'll be in good shape. Darn growing youngsters with lots of Thoroughbred blood!


I think your weekly schedule for Hampton is spot-on. Good job!
ReplyDeleteRight now I'm using smartpak's 'smartomega 3' which is like a 3 in one supplement. It has vitamins A and E, pro-biotics (lactobacillus etc), and omega 3's.
ReplyDeleteShe's only been eating it for the last 3 days, so I haven't really noticed any change. Smartpak was having a freebee deal so I decided I'd try it, but it's technically unnecessary since she's on grass pasture which has plenty of Vit. A and E. I'm really only using it because it was a free way to get some pro-biotics.
Don't worry, three is a tough age. They're just starting to get 'mature' without actually knowing what to do with all that maturity. Just wait for a few years down the road when you'll have a beautiful transformation from a youngster to a real horse!
I love taking youngsters on lots of trail rides, so good for their little brains :D