So both Monday and today we spent time on suppling, more discussions about NOT bulging in on my inside leg and canter transitions. I'm debating whether or not to put a different bit in Hampton's both for two reasons. 1) He doesn't foam really at all with the Happy Mouth bit. And 2) I feel like I'm really having to get in his face sometimes with suppling and really sometimes steering. I certainly don't want him to back off the bit and brace, but there have been a few moments where I really had to pull on his mouth. (of course this is accompanied by some pony club kicks as well). T-Bone was VERY backed off the bit, so this is sort of new to me. Not sure if it's just a phase or what.
As far as the video, this is the lunging setup I have been using for the past few days. I only hook up one side rein (on the outside) and use a driving line on the inside for suppling and flexion. So far it has really helped Hampton find his balance. I think I'll go ahead and hook up the inside side rein next time and see what that does. He is more than accepting of them and doesn't freak out, so I think it's time to start regular work in them. I am VERY sorry about the wobbly video. I am a great multi-tasker but lunging and video-ing was a challenge even for me. So, hopefully no one gets motion sick. I feel he could be a bit more forward in this video, but it was hard to keep the camera pointed at him, plus use the whip, plus make sure my body language was ok. Probably not the best thing to do. But hey, I'm classy like that sometimes.
We have another lesson tomorrow. I hope we have made a little progress since last time. Hampton doesn't appear to be too pressured (well, after last week when his program changed all of a sudden). He still seems happy and after tomorrow's lesson I think we will just trail ride one more day and then a few days off.
**Edited to add, you may have to go to youtube to see the video. For some reason it's cutting off his head on my screen*
Oh I am totally doing the same thing right now! Videoing horses while lunging is VERY challenging! My mare is getting the idea that as soon as I pick up a camera she can starting scooting forward or looking around because she know I won't catch her if I'm watching her through "the little silver box"! I just can't help it though. I even thought of trying to video her cantering through gymnastics on the lunge today! If I actually got video without teaching her to dodge the jump it would have been a miracle. I didn't push my luck!
ReplyDeletehttp://mytrainingproject.blogspot.com/
You did way better lunging and videotaping than I could have ever done! :)
ReplyDelete