Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The best of 2009 Phish

So I've already ran the numbers. Boring. zzzzzz. And since it's too cold right now to really give much of an update on the horses (will have one soon, though) I've compiled the best moments of 2009 (Phish related, obviously). Each concert is different for everyone. Your personal experience may vary widely from the next person's. That's the great thing about it. Each show certainly had its finer parts. But here are my favorite moments of the year ...

• 3/6/09   'Bouncin' Round the Room' ... Hampton, VA
It was during this song that the giant balloons hanging from the ceiling of the Hampton "mothership" began to drop one by one. It almost seemed like they wrote the song just for that venue ... for that moment. Even though it was difficult to sometimes see, I was really grateful to have had floor tickets when I looked up and saw giant balloons falling at my head. Eventually I think all the balloons popped. doh.









• 6/19/09   'Tweezer Reprise' ... Noblesville, IN
Before it starting pouring rain, the lighting was beyond stunning to watch. I've been to numerous shows at Deer Creek where it has stormed, tornadoes even ... but nothing came close to this. After first set, we all had to trudge back to our cars since there was "lighting and high winds" predicted. So we did. Sopping wet, I was grateful to have a dry shirt in the car. Ahhhh. Soon it was time to head back up to the lawn for the second set. And Phish did not disappoint. During the encore, Tweeze Reprise, it started to pour. And I mean POUR. I kept looking around, amazed that people just kept right on dancing. Not one soul left. The music seemed louder in the rain ... 























• 6/19/09   'Ghost' ... Indio, CA
This song alone made the 30+ hour drive to Cali worth it, nevermind the rest of the sets which were pure awesomeness. It was so funky and I couldn't have stopped dancing if the earth had stopped on its axis right there. Oh yeah, and Fishman played a vacuum solo on the first night. Score!

































• 11/21/09   'Squirming Coil' ... Cincinatti, OH
I don't think it wasn't until this song, at this venue that I truly started to appreciate the talent that is Page. His solo after Squirming Coil in Chicago started to open my eyes, but in Cinci it moved me to tears. Ok I wasn't bawling or anything, but I had to really stop myself from visably crying. After he was done with one of the most beautiful examples of piano playing I have ever witnessed, that arena was so loud it gave me goosebumps. Louder than Hampton when the lights went out, I think.






1 comment:

  1. Bouncin' is probably the best Phish song of all time. just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!