
I feel bad for Debbie, who was obviously disappointed after her ride yesterday. And I am happy to hear that Brentina checked out sound and healthy, according to reports from
dressagedaily.com. So, I've been reading all sorts of posts on why the horse was not herself. People have come up with every explanation - from the mare is lame, so maybe she had back spasms, to the heat, to her breathing problems. Maaaaaybe ... it's because she is a horse, not a machine. What happened to Debbie and Brentina happens to me (and MANY other riders) every single time we enter the ring. They are horses, sometimes they have off days. Just like humans. Lets stop overanalyzing poor Debbie and Brentina and cheer on the show jumpers. Geez.
You hit it on the head....people forget they are horses. Horses are just like people athletes...they have their good days and their bad days, too.
ReplyDeleteI'd been reading about the supposedly horrible test, so I was pretty curious to see what happened. So I watched the video and...eh? Maybe it's just because I come from saddle seat land, but really I didn't think it was so bad. The mare looked tense, sure, and fired up, but not in a bad way, from my perspective. The way the news was making it sound I was expecting something disastrous and I just didn't see it. To be fair, I guess the major issue is that it was very uncharacteristic for her to perform like that, and I have no idea what she's normally like.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been able to watch any of the equestrian coverage live since it's all in the morning and I can't install Silverlight on my work computer. And since I don't have cable I'm at the mercy of NBC for primetime coverage, which means all I ever see is freakin' Michael Phelps...