More excellent work from T-Bone today. I havn't had a lesson in weeks (been really busy with my work schedule switching around), but I've been working on the same movements and developed a really nice routine. I think having the same routine each day gives T-Bone some comfort and confidence. Shoulder-in especially has gotten much better - rarely does he hollow when I ask anymore. Same with travers (which never really was a problem for him) ... and halfpass is really starting to develop. I love how working on the more difficult movements has instantly improved the easier things - like leg yielding and general cadence. Working on half-steps before doing any canter work helps tremendously with the collection. I have a lesson Nov. 24 and I hope my instructor is pleased with our progress and we can get additional homework to add to the equation.
T-Bone just moved into a new field and is now living with about 6 or 7 other horses. He hasn't lived outdoors in a big group since he was 2 years old. He has a few "battle scars", but not bad. It looks like he'll fit in just fine. He's smart, and knows that the rest of the horses are indeed bigger than him. lol. It's great to see how his attitude has changed since living outdoors. He is so much more laid back (he was in the first place), and rarely has his "trantrums" anymore where he screams and bolts at random times. lol. This could also be due to a saddle that correctly fits now. Or a combo of both. But he has such a good attitude about work now - even when the movements get tough, he just goes along with it and tries his best. It's great. I'm so lucky to have him.
And a mental note: I really need to worm the horse. Geez. A trip to TSC is in order this week for wormer. Must. Worm. Horse.
Peace out!
Love TSC!! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like T-Bone is loving life outdoors with his pasture mates - despite his "battle wounds." He really has come a long way over the years and he is turning into such a gentleman of a horse! :)
Good luck with your next lesson and I hope the instructor is really pleased with y'alls progress!! :)