Saturday's lesson was fantastic. My 'rents came out to watch and I think were impressed with how far we have come in a month. They were also amazed at how hard both of us work (didn't make things any better that it was 92 degrees). Horse and I were both drenched in sweat by the end.
We started out working on changing the bend within the trot. We did shallow loops on and off the rail and then loops on the centerline. This was followed by work on shoulder in and leg yielding. This is clearly not T-Bone's favorite movement, and I think he still is insecure from the bad experience back in March during which we spent and hour leg yielding and pissing him off. Ugh. But, it's getting better. It's just a matter of time and practice. What we do well, tho, is turn on the haunches. I've never really worked that much on this movement with the horse, but both of us have a real knack for it. So much infact, that walk piroettes are not far away. TOH really helps lighten his front end as well. The lesson ended with more canter work - this will be the horse's strong point. He is incredibly talented and able to sit down on his haunches and damn near canter on the spot already. This is after maybe 2 weeks of asking for just a little more collection each day in the canter. It isn't perfect, he still tends to get tense in the neck and stiff in the jaw, but I just have to work through it.
Anyway, the photos are from yesterday.
Tired human and pony!
Hoorah!! I can finally comment again!! :) Figured I would hit you on Xanga since I didn't know how else to let you know.
ReplyDeleteIt has been unusally warm for October, hasn't it? My puppy is glad today's high is only 53 degrees. She doesn't like the heat and has been drinking a ton of water lately.
T-Bone looks good! He definitely has grown up over the years and just keeps getting better and better each year! :)