![]() |
| Normal, sleepy, quiet Hampton ... |
Was supposed to have a lesson today.
The barn I board at does not have an indoor. I can suck it up. But I don't expect my horse to suck it up when it comes to footing. But both arenas were frozen today. So much so that Hampton was sore when I started out lunging him. Not lame, but when he made a canter-trot transition, his back end did a little hippy-hop. Every time. It wasn't just "Oh he took a weird step." It was clearly a "he's sore and can't make the transition." So we (my awesome instructor and I) made the trek out to the hayfield to see if the footing might be better. I have ridden Hampton out there quite a few times and didn't think it would be a problem. FAMOUS LAST WORDS!
![]() |
| Hampton out in the field today. |
He walked out to the field quiet and polite.
(cue scary music)
As soon as I sent him off on the lunge line, he began to snort. Then snort louder. Then passage. Then he tried bolting, bucking, running sideways, snorting, more passage, more bolting. The footing MIGHT have been ok if I had a quiet, steady horse. But it was muddy and thus slick for a wild creature who was basically out of control. It was about as wild and unglued as I have EVER seen Hampton. Normally, I would let him get that crap out of his system. But both me and my instructor were scared he would get hurt. And it's not worth it. We walked back and called it a day. Hey, guess he got a little exercise.
To be fair, the footing out in the pasture is also muddy and slick. So he probably hasn't been moving around much. Plus it's cold. Out in the middle of a open field. He's 3 and getting fed QUITE well. What a recipe for a wild poneh!!
I really, REALLY hope he did not hurt himself out there. His hind end slipped several times before I was able to reel him back in from his antics.
The BO is supposed to work on the smaller arena at some point, so hopefully it won't freeze so easy in the future. We won't get much work done if the arena footing is that terrible all winter. I plan to haul out to a nearby indoor for lessons but I can only do that maybe once a month.
I hate winter. Can't you tell?


Whew! Crazy pony is right!! I agree on the footing- it's just not worth it! Hope the big man is alright!
ReplyDeleteGood to call it a day before someone - you or him - got hurt. We have no indoor either so I know what you're dealing with.
ReplyDeleteHampton was feeling fresh alright! I'm sure it felt good to blow off some of that steam he obviosly had pent up. I hope he's not sore today!
ReplyDeleteEesh. I didn't even post about it but Laz had a day of CRAZY on Sunday. Donkey two leg kicking out, bucking, snorting, etc. THANK god on while I was riding, but just working on the ground. I left HUGE divets in the BO's grass..oops. I too, called it quits and got him quiet asap so he wouldn't hurt himself.
ReplyDeleteWhy does the cold bring this out?! I miss summer lazy pony!!
I'm with you on winter. I ride outside too so am having the same kinds of issues. Not riding much because of footing. It sucks.
ReplyDeleteAnd ya can't help but feel for the horses who aren't getting to play either, especially the young ones. Wild and crazy makes sense even if it isn't safe.