Update.
| Clinic with Lillian |
We took more jump lessons, we worked with Lillian again. She gave us the green light and ...
I entered a Beginner Novice.
I know this isn't a big deal to most. It's "small" and "easy" but I have never done a recognized BN, I have barely done anything of that height at schooling competitions.
To say I was about to shit my pants nervous is an understatement.
I picked IEA - which is conducted at our home base, the Hoosier Horse Park. Hampton has been there many, MANY times.
![]() |
| Not pictured: Anxiety at 11/10 |
And then they had torrential rain. And the course was underwater a week out.
By the time I walked the course on Friday, IEA staff had completed the ultimate pivot and moved the course so only safe ground was used. It was a fun, windy course and the footing was PERFECT. I cannot express how grateful I am to all that went on behind the scenes.
Dressage was solid but a little boring. Still, we were sitting in first heading into cross country.
Then somebody fell off. Hold on course.
Unbeknownst to me, the rider before and after me fell at the same fence. The fence right before the water.
Off we went. The first fence was a GIRTHMASTER and I feared it to the point I may have closed my eyes on the approach. Hampton, however, jumped it, probably was wondering why his rider's heartrate was 200000 bpm today and kept on going.
| This 4A-B combo rode perfect! |
| Fence 10 also frightened me because its WIDE. |
| "Will not touch!" |
We did trot through the water, and trotted fence 7 but hell yeah. The rest of course he stormed around (for a Clydesdale cross) and we finished double clear.
Hampton literally pranced back to the barns - I am not sure I have ever seen him so proud and full of himself. Definitely not after a dressage test haha.
We had show jumping early on Sunday and while Hampton jumped awesome, we did have two rails which knocked us down to 7th. Couldn't have cared less though he was SO GOOD and I was so happy to have completed my first recognized Beginner novice OF MY LIFE.
| Pro photos by Xpress! |
Truly having the time of my life out here.
Thanks, Hampton.

How insanely cool are you both?! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteHampton also looks like he is having the time of his life.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!
GO Hampton! GO you! And also, I can't quit chuckling over this, "I am not sure I have ever seen him so proud and full of himself. Definitely not after a dressage test haha." Jompies is the fun! Dressij is the work!
ReplyDeleteA great accomplishment! Congratulations 😄~Kristin
ReplyDeleteOh awesome! Go Hampton! Way to get out there and do the thing!
ReplyDeleteI love this so much! Congrats to you and Hampton! I am too scared to jump things that don't fall down, so major props to you for not just going out and doing it, but doing it well!
ReplyDelete