Wednesday, January 22, 2025

Winter Review: 0 stars

 


I think I speak for all Midwest horse people when I say this winter is one of the hardest we have had in years. Not only is it cold, but we had a short warm spell which melted a lot of snow but now all that is left is sheets of ice.

I fall and go boom at least once daily during morning barn chores. At least I have gotten better at knowing I am going to fall so I just sort of collapse down before I really eat shit.

Hampton is doing ok. He is a rugged dude, but since his field is covered in ice and snow the horses just stand at the roundbale and eat all day. And lounge a bit. Not much movement going on, so he has been stocking up on all four legs quite a bit. I have been riding when I can but that's only been 3-4 days a week if I am lucky. I might get another day when I am able to lunge him a bit. This helps, but it's simply not enough movement.

Just some jog time on the lunge when its 12 degrees
and I don't want to take off my coveralls.

This is my message to my fellow badass horsewomen (and men) to just keep on going. It has to end at some point? Right?

RIGHT?????



1 comment:

  1. I dunno. This has been a rough winter everywhere I think. We've been lucky up here with not too much snow, but it's been really cold for a long while. I realized today when the weatherman were all excited about today's warm up (29 degrees, that was the big warm up) that this might be a long winter. I hope your ice melts soon though, that is treacherous! Also, if you wear enough pants, it doesn't hurt as much when you wipe out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!