We survived the USDF Region 2 Regional Championships! It was very nice having it so close to home and therefore I only ended up having to stay over two nights.
On Thursday we went for a light school where I checked in on the buttons. The theme this year was Wizard of Oz and everyone's decorations were really cute.
I also have to give a shout out to the LOVELY LOVELY blog reader who recognized me at the food stand! This is the first time I have been "recognized in the wild" and it was so sweet. It really made my day. *hugs*
Friday morning was the I2 AA championship and we were the very first ride down centerline at 8 a.m. During warmup a rainbow even made an appearance for a few minutes. Hamp warmed up great and felt fresh and energetic.
Overall, I think it was probably the BEST I2 we have EVER done, even though when I went to start the line of ones, he stole a change from me at the start and I lost the rhythm. We recovered though, but it was an expensive mistake. We finished with a 58% and third place in the class. It rained on our awards but it was still really fun and the other ladies in the class were all really lovely and had lovely horses so I was pretty proud of Hampton to hold his own in such company.
Saturday morning I took Hampton out on a light walk and 5-min jog just to stretch his back and legs after standing in a stall all night. The horse park is absolutely gorgeous at 7:30 a.m. It's during these rides is where I find the true reason why I do this. It has nothing to do with scores or ribbons.
Our Grand Prix freestyle wasn't until 4:30 p.m. and by that time it was rather toasty out. And that afternoon Hampton actually LIED DOWN in his stall. In the 15 years I have been showing this horse, I have NOT ONCE seen him lie down in the stall at a show, much less during the day where he has "things to supervise." He was quite sleepy.
Our warm up was ... ok. He was behind the leg and we ended up having great moments in the warmup but once I entered the show arena and dropped my whip, I knew I was in trouble.
I broke my own damn rule and begged him the entire way. I was growling, pony club kicking in discreet spots. But he ended up missing in the twos and the ones, and in general just being more downhill than usual. I could tell he was tired. By the end, he was huffing and puffing as well. We did our best. It was not our best freestyle, but not the worst either. The judges gave us a 58%. Which, I felt was fair.
I unfortunately did not meet my goal of getting a 60% at regionals. A bummer, but thems the brakes. Even still, Hampton held his own and the cheering of people during our awards gallop yelling "Go Porkchop" was THE BEST.
| Got myself a big ol' bobcat |
More adventures await!

❤️
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great show overall! Bummer to not obtain your goal, but that just means you can try again next year!
ReplyDelete