Summary of the past few weeks!
By the time you read this, we will be at the Kentucky Horse Park for the USDF Region 2 Regionals. I had considered imposing on Leah and going to Region 4, but since this one is SO CLOSE to home I really couldn't justify driving to St. Louis. Except Leah is awesome.
Plot twist: It is looking likely we will be impacted by the remnants of a hurricane. Cool!
1. Photos!
| I am all about the Wenglish look |
I had a professional photo shoot done with Hampton to celebrate 15 years with this beast. It was SO FUN and it has been way too long since I have had any cute pro photos done.
Photos by the awesome Three Redheads and a Moose!
2. We did a schooling show
We popped over bright and early to a friend's farm to participate in a schooling show/CT show. They were kind enough to fit in the DQs first thing in the morning. Hampton and I went through the I2 since we haven't done that test since May. It went ok, and I was able see where my weaknesses were.
A BIG hole in my own training is that I do not ride in a standard arena enough. Our indoor at home is just a tad too wide. I need to practice test riding way more than I do.
3. We beat up some cows
A week before Regionals, we participated in an evening cow-sorting clinic. Hampton remembered the cows from last year. We helped bring the cows from the pasture into the arena, pushed them around a bit and then did some two-person sorting.
![]() |
| "Fuck around and find out" - Hampton, to the cow probably |
Once we started the sorting, Hampton's true personality came out. He was BLOODTHIRSTY for these cows and absolutely loved herding them and bossing them around. I had to hang on to the pommel of my saddle several times as he spun, cut sideways and launched at the cows with his ears flattened. I think he would prefer to switch careers. Cows are his element and he was drunk on power. lol. I guess horses either have this cow-y instinct or they don't. Hampton perhaps has some cow horses in his heritage somewhere?
| We rode until sunset. It was lovely. |
Let's hope this hurricane doesn't beat us up too badly this weekend at Regionals. We are competing in the I2 and Grand Prix freestyle championship classes. I expect to get completely annihilated, but my goals are organized, clean tests. If I can get a 60 in either test that will be an accomplishment at this level.
Here we go!

Good luck at regionals!!! I love he likes doing sorting, I feel my beastie would run at the first sight of one 😂
ReplyDeleteReally nice pics of you two. LOVE that Hampton has a cow-y side - he's so well rounded. ;) Can't wait to read about the Regionals!
ReplyDeleteI love that you do literally ALL the things with Hampton. Love the pro photos, but love the antics with the cows even more. So fun!
ReplyDelete