| Obi watching Tiger King lol |
July was a brutally hot month here in KY, and Hampton had a very easy month for the most part. The first week of July I was slightly out of commission because I finally made the choice to have a bilateral salpingectomy.
Translation: My fallopian tubes were completely removed.
The primary reason I did this was to hopefully reduce my chances of ovarian cancer. It seems there is quite a bit of science out now suggesting many ovarian cancers actually start in the fallopian tubes. I have a mutation in the CHECK2 gene, and my sister has ovarian cancer. In addition, my dad died from prostate cancer. Fun fact, my sister also has this gene mutation. And it appears my father likely also did.
The bonus reason I did this is F*** THE PATRIARCHY.
I will admit I was slightly nervous because I had never had general anesthesia before, nor have I ever been officially cut open for any reason. Thankfully this surgery was laparoscopic and I went home the same day.
| Before drugs: Pre-op |
They put two trocars (yes, like a bloated cow) on the sides of my abdomen, and a third little incision by my belly button. They disconnected the plumbing and sent my tubes off to pathology. They were completely normal thankfully! And my doctor said I had pristine ovaries. My plan is to keep those puppies at least until I am 50 WITH CLOSE MONITORING. I also have the boobs checked every 6 months via mammograms and MRI.
| After drugs: Post- op lol |
I will say this procedure was a piece of cake. They gave me great drugs including Versed before heading to the OR (LOVED THIS), plenty of zofran, pepsid, Decadron and some Toradol for pain. I was very adamant that I can handle pain but not nausea. I don't remember shit until I woke up in a PACU area. I rated my pain at a 2. It basically felt like someone scratched me. They did send me home with some pain meds but I never took a single pain pill, not even Ibuprofen. I had surgery on a Friday and Sunday morning I was back doing barn chores, and back on Hampton (walking only) by Monday!
The incisions were tender and sore but nothing unbearable and I could easily function and sleep. I did have some low pelvic pain at times, maybe scar tissue forming? Also, TMI warning, they do turn you into a popsicle and stick a sponge stick through your cervix to "manipulate the uterus" so I am guessing some of the pain may have been from that. lol. Probably the most annoying part was the gas pains from getting pumped full of gas during the procedure. The pains and cramps would spread over my shoulders sometimes. I went on "colic" walks for a couple days after and that did help. haha.
One week later I could walk, trot and canter comfortably again. Sitting trot took a few more days though haha.
Overall 10/10 stars for this procedure lol.
So glad everything went well with the surgery. (childless cat women unite!!) I do love me some anesthesia drugs - best sleep ever <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteOh man, I'm so sorry you have to be so vigilant, but I'm glad you're able to be also! I hope your sister is doing okay all things considered, and I'm glad this procedure went so well for you!
ReplyDeleteUgh yes the gas pain is the worst part about this procedure lol. Welcome to the no tube club! 🤣
ReplyDeleteSmart medical decision. Glad all went well and you're recovering quickly!
ReplyDelete