| Beautiful Wisconsin |
I really enjoy new-to-me shows and facilities and decided to head on up to Wisconsin last weekend for Dressage at Sorensen Park. It is a bit of a haul from KY, but making Aiken trips has really broken me in to longer hauls and it doesn't bother me much anymore. Hampton seems to handle it fine as well. We did break the Wednesday trip up by making a pit stop in Indiana to impose jump on the trailer with the BFF.
Thursday
It was really nice to have Thursday as just a relaxing schooling day. Hamp and I got a tune-up from one of our favorite Indy trainers, and got some of the best passage I have ever felt. Can I replicate that without her on the ground? No. No I cannot.
So the couple that runs this facility is a very nice, older couple. They were LOVELY and very very kind. But also, the music for the freestyles was a CD boombox plugged into speakers. Did I have a burnt CD with my music? That is a negative. I believe the rules state you SHOULD have one, but I have been emailing my music for several years now. I did not think of it.
So off we went on a wild goose chase. We ended up at Best Buy where I purchased a portable CD drive/burner to plug into my work computer. I am ASHAMED to admit I had forgotten how to burn a CD. I am a Napster kid for F's sake. But after about an hour we did figure it out and rushed to give the CD over for the soundcheck. It worked!
| Show arena |
We went to a cute bar inside a former bank for dinner. The cheese curds in Wisconsin are life changing. I will never be able to eat kentucky cheese curds again.
Friday
Friday morning was our freestyle and as I passed the sound guy, he warned me that after I raised my hand he would press play but it takes a minute for the music to play. This is what happened Thursday night during our sound check. So I made a plan on the fly to raise my hand about 5 meters before I usually do. That should give time for the delay to happen.
| Good memories! I saw Phish at this venue back in the day! |
Well, I raised my hand and the music played IMMEDIATELY. Unfortunately, I was not able to catch back up and was behind my music until almost the walk tour. This was my error, I SHOULD have just stopped and waited for the music at P, which is where I normally raise my hand at the canter.
And because I was rushed, the one's got all funky and the trot half passes were total shit. This was not Hampton's fault, he was like "oh shit lady ok ok ok I am going!"
| Professional photos by Melissa Franke |
We scored a 64% and some change, just short of the 65 I need for the Gold bar. Story of my life: Good, but not good enough.
After showing all morning we took off and got pedicures in Lake Geneva. What a gorgeous little town!
| Double pirouettes in the freestyle |
| View from dinner on Lake Geneva |
Saturday
I chose to do an I-2 test on Saturday since I still need one more score for Regionals. Hampton warmed up great, but during the test he sort of puttered out. He was very obedient but I lost the energy and the piaffe and passage was pretty weak. But, this time we were good enough and scored a 62% and some change. I will take it! Punched that ticket to Regionals!
| Hampton trying so hard for me |
| Nerd alert |
The drive home was thankfully uneventful until I went to unhitch my trailer and the damn coupler would not let go of the ball. At 10 p.m. Major props to the barn owner who rescued me, otherwise I was going to drag the trailer back to my condo. hahaha. no.
I would 10/10 go to this show again. The stalls were nice (with mats), plenty of lush grass for grazing, great food choices, nice footing and pleasant show staff.
| My hair has long ago said F off bitch. You can't control me. |
Thank you Sorensen Park!
Now to try and get that last freestyle score ....
| ... saw this on the road. |
Regionals is by meeeeeeeee this year so I get to come see you! And I might show in the open show running in conjunction 😬 if our flying changes are less "hope and pray" 🤣
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed your visit! We do have the best cheese curds.
ReplyDeleteNext time maybe I can come watch.
That's such a bummer about the music. But otherwise sounds like a great trip! You two look fantastic.
ReplyDelete